Sonor D 506 score!

TGStan

Reaction score
IMO these are some of the best sounding snares ever made. I say that as a guy who owns two Supras and no Sonors! Congrats.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own one and agree it is a great snare. Is yours the first gen. with the adjustable butt plate or the second gen. with the standard butt plate? The first gen butt plates had two holes that were vertical, drilled very close together and had a tendency to crack the shell between the two holes, I’ve seen at least two shells like this. Always worth a check.

Last edited:

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had mine since around ‘89. I can never part with it. Sound great in low, med, and high. It does sound 402-ish.

stevesmithfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own one and agree it is a great snare. Is yours the first gen. with the adjustable butt plate or the second gen. with the standard butt plate? The first gen butt plates had two holes that were vertical, drilled very close together and had a tendency to crack the shell between the two holes, I’ve seen at least two shells like this. Always worth a check.
Standard butt plate.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations! I was able to purchase a NOS D500 ferromanganese 10-lugger from a fellow DFO member not too long ago, and it truly is a special drum. Supras and Acros are fine, but Sonor's ferro snares are at another level entirely.

d500.jpg