Sonor D 525 finally arrived

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I must admit I couldn`t fully understand the aura of some legendary Sonor snares so far. My D518 just wasn`t right for me, my D454 is far from being "Sonor`s LM400" in my opinion and the HLD tanks to me are a bit over-engineered (my project of building a player`s drum out of a HLD-shell failed due to bad parts availability even here in Germany).

Therefore I did not have high expectations when purchasing a bundle of an old 18" Avedis and a centennial badge D525.

Today the items arrived and I saw the D525 in very good shape equipped with both batter and reso heads being Remo Diplomats which I never had before.

What can I say....? It sounds amazing! I finally got to understand a fine working parallel strainer mechanism! The D525 has separate wire adjustments on throw-off and butt-end sites. By slightly turning them and the lever of the strainer mechanism itself, there are tons of varieties to be discovered. This snare can provide a big fat 80s rock sound, can be played very quiet with lots of "wires" but can bark like a machine gun as well if you like! Although it lacks in my opinion the melodic nuances of a LM400, a combination of both snares must be the ultimate drum.
15968781666022.jpg
15968781665311.jpg
15968781664330.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Brass shell?
I've never seen one of those.
What do you mean by a lack of "melodic nuances"?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Brass shell?
I've never seen one of those.
What do you mean by a lack of "melodic nuances"?
No brass but a seamless ferromanganese steel.

I also have never seen one and I suppose in 1975 this was Sonor`s top range snare drum with no bell brass or signatures at this time. According to an old price list, the D525 was 630,-DM then which is around 1.000 € now considering the buying power these days.

Melodic nuances? To me, it is possible to get wood snare sounds out of a LM400 (by using specific head combinations like Remo Controlled Power and Encore for example). You won`t get these with a Sonor steel snare in my opinion.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Congratulations! I have a D506 which was a made a couple of years after yours. Great drum. I posted about here about nine years ago. Sonor D506 1.jpg Sonor D5065.jpg