EEF99574-D224-4328-BBE0-BEAAEBEBA421.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 138

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy them.
DO IT DO IT NOW.

Who knows, you may end up selling your 3 other kits and keeping this one.

steambent

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about Sonor but what are the holes on the top of the bass drum from?

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As far as I remember wrapped Phonics were going for 600 to 800 for many years,I consider that kit a great value per dollar considering its sound and quality imo.

EDL

Reaction score
Nice set! Better lift weights to cart em around though!
I played Sonor Phonics for most of my career off and on the road.
The FT and BD leg mounts werent the greatest..always slipping.
And on the earlier sets the lugs loosened up as well, before they put the locks on em.
I still have my 18/14/12/10 set in Rustic Oak I got in the mid 70's.
Sold my Pewter 22/16/13/12 set regretably.
Check to make sure those BD hoops are original.
And would be nice if you got an original key with it too.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice set! Better lift weights to cart em around though!
I played Sonor Phonics for most of my career off and on the road.
The FT and BD leg mounts werent the greatest..always slipping.
And on the earlier sets the lugs loosened up as well, before they put the locks on em.
I still have my 18/14/12/10 set in Rustic Oak I got in the mid 70's.
Sold my Pewter 22/16/13/12 set regretably.
Check to make sure those BD hoops are original.
And would be nice if you got an original key with it too.

This is a common problem mostly due to user error and not understanding how the mechanism works. Great video explaining the proper way to use the mounts which are actually a clamp.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem mostly due to user error and not understanding how the mechanism works. Great video explaining the proper way to use the mounts which are actually a clamp.

Yep. Those clamps are adjustable but must be adjusted correctly.

EDL

Reaction score
I remember trying all kinds of adjustments on those mounts..and nothing worked relieably as the drums are extra heavy and put a lot of stress on those parts. Keep in mind I played up to 6 to 7 days a week back in the day and needed working mounts to actually function day in and out.
imo..basically a bad design...metal on metal... grinding and wearing out..I could see the metal specs being worn
off and it took about a year to get real bad. And.. the lugs on my 1st set didnt have the locks..so lugs were getting loose or falling out on to the floor by the end of the gig..and/or going out of tune...but my Tama Rosewood SD did the exact same thing..but with only 1 reso lug...on the floor after every gig.
I complained to my drum dealer Bob Gatzen (a well known drum designer & inventor) and he concurred about Sonor issues.and recommended swaping out the mounts with Pearl mounts which I did. But I still have those bum Sonor parts somewhere and maybe I will have another look at them..but that said..when you have the 22" BD w/2 toms flop over on its side mid tune..and the FT collasping unpredictably mid gig..right onto onto your bd leg..or the floor..this is not the stuff of confidence. Sonor is a great drum company in many ways...but I swore off of them when I added a 10" tom a few years later to my rustic oak jazz kit..of course the labels didnt match at that time....but the worse thing was..the outer veneer started to peel a few months later..and when I brought the drum in to get fixed or traded..Sonor refused to give credit or fix..or replace..they just accused me of storing in a humid environment (which it wasnt)..so I said to them..what about my older drums..all in great shape with no veneer peeling..they just blew me off..and refused to do anything..
This was the distributor here in the states that was bogus..
I was a kid back then..but if that happened today..I would contact Germany and the CEO of Sonor direct.and I think some action would have been done. But I didnt know all that back then.
Dont get me going on Sonor..I luv em..and hate em..lol..
But with the right heads..you can actually get those heavy shells sounding right..
The hoops..I wont even go into that..pretty cheap stuff with the Phonics..except for the bd hoop.
Here is my jazz kit..
VyATNKB.jpg