Sonor force 3000

W

wayne

All birch shells, made in Germany, likely some of the last...would like to know if anyone owns a kit or has played one and cares to critque it?

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
They're great drums! They were a semi-budget kit in the early mid 90s (semi budget compared to the Sigs, etc, still top notch drums).

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Go later in your dating, bonzoleum.
In the mid 90's Sonor was still pushing the Force and Force Custom.
The numbered Force drums didn't come about until the new millennium started.
...remember, we still had to go through the "Sonic" years of the later 90's, THEN the Force series is reintroduced in its numbered form.
I remember this picture from an ad featured in an MD I had, around '96...

I wanted that kit some kinda bad....still do, I guess.

Elvis

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
The original 3000s weren't the FORCE type if I recall. They were 'pre' 2001 and the subsequent FORCE 2001, 3001, 2003, 3003, 2005, 3005, 2007, 3007. There was before that the 1000 (Poplar I think I think), 2000 (def Poplar) and then the birch 3000. A band I was in '94 played a gig with the Jazz Mandolin Trio (or Project) and the drummer in that band had a kit. I'm fiarly sure the 3000s were in the catalogs then. I'll have to take a look at the Sonor museum.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
I just looked on the Sonor Museum site and indeed the Force term was used (I didn't recall that, I thought it was straight up 1000, 2000 3000, but that's probably the Paiste wire in my head messing up the signals), but they weren't the Force as most folks know them from the past 12-13 years. I'm sure the 1000, 2000 3000 were mid 90s. I'll keep looking..

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
I found it! (I forget how much I enjoy that Sonormuseum site). The Force 1000, 2000 3000 were indeed early-mid 90s. After that they made a version called 2001 that were luaun and then the whole 2001, 3001, 2003, 3003, 2005 etc started...

W

wayne

Thx for that great info!!!So were they a mid to high line offering at the time?...I think im close to a 5 pc for 500 in great condition

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 2 Force 3000 kits, one in green metallic lacquer and the other in scandinavian birch. Great drums. I bought the green kit new from a music store in Anchorage, Alaska (Mammoth Music) in about 1997/98. It came in the 8/12/13/16/18/22 config with a 7x14 snare. I pieced together the scandi birch kit after I bought a 20" bass drum in that series but in the scandi finish. I have two rides in the scandi, and have been on the hunt for a floor tom for about the past 5 years.

Considered a mid line series. Heavy MOSTLY birch ( they are not pure birch shells, and can get no answer from anyone what the other plies are (probably poplar) based on the color of the woods at the bearing edges. Plating on them is okay, but not of Premier type quality.

Parts, should you need to replace anything, can be a bit dicey in locating, as they have been out of production now for so long, but can usually been found on ebay or located through the sonormuseum site.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
I thin that's a great price.
They were a relatively affordable (very affordable by Sonor standards) offering. I think the shell pack I lusted after was a 5 piece 22, 2 tom 16 w/snare for like $1300. It had a green stain finish that was very cool. I remember the Jazz Mandolin Trio/Project drummer came to Schuba's with the exact kit. (The guy was a phenom drummer btw). I ended up not buying a new kit at all so I didn't get them.

There was a curly/quartersawn natural finish in the 3000s that was very cool. I had a 10x12 here for awhile in that finish. What is the finish of the ones you're looking at?

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
Lee said:
Considered a mid line series. Heavy MOSTLY birch ( they are not pure birch shells, and can get no answer from anyone what the other plies are (probably poplar) based on the color of the woods at the bearing edges......
I know they (the 3000s) were marketed as all birch-if my memory serves. Was it sort of a late 70s Tama thing? (Tama originally said the late 70s natural Super Maple Superstars were all maple but I heard that turned out not to be true..)

The slightly-later original Sonor S Class were a maple birch hybrid. The cheaper Sonic Plus were sold as all birch too, but I drilled a shell for a different mount and the drill bit shot through the shell like paper, leading me to think there was some lesser qulaity birch mixed in, or a mix of some other lesser wood..

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
:angry7: ....word to the wise, people - NEVER stop playing drums...and if you do, don't come back, lest you join on online drum forum and make a complete @$$ of yourself, because something happened while you weren't around.

:rolleyes:

Bonzoleum,

My apologies for the misinformation.
I wasn't playing then, so I was unaware of the earlier Force series.
As far as I knew, that series started with the Force/Force Custom drum.

:dontknow:

...somewhere, I have that '94 Designer catalogue, though.

Elvis

Shawn M

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one, 24, 12, 16 and 14" snare.
Great kit, amazing sound with a good tuning range.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
In his post above, Lee stated his opinion that they were 'mostly birch'. I mentioned that I had a 10x12 Sonic Plus (the original all birch German) tom that I drilled to put a mount on (They had a horrible early incarnation TAR mount that was just awful), and when I drilled it, the drill shot through the wood as if it was a pine (craft pine) wood. Like the pine you can use a knife to easily carve stuff-like a 'Pinewood derby' mobile!

On the other hand, a Scandi finished (beautiful quartersawn) 3000 series 10x12 tom I had sat in 5 inches of water for few days, and it didn't affect the shell at all. There wasn't a mark on it, no ply-seperation, no absorption, I was very impressed! That's a quality heavy birch drum!

procrast

Reaction score
I have a set of 2005's and they are absolutely one of the best kits I have ever owned. They sound amazing and are solid as a rock, both shells and hardware.

Attachments

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
After Lee mentioned above about the 3000s not being all birch, I looked a the Sonor museum site and found this text in one of the catalog pages/info from one of the early 90s catalogs. It uses the term 'basic material birch'. Look down to the bottom of the page under the TECHNICAL DATA:

SONOR FORCE 3000

The Force 3000 drum series by Sonor is the continuation of the Force 2000's conception:
Instruments of high quality, with a high-tech look and affordable price. The Force 3000's main features are the sound, the wide selection of drum sizes and the new 3000 series hardware. Like all Sonor products, the new force 3000 is "Made in Germany."
Serious drummers who take pride in their equipment, but are also price conscious, will benefit from the Force 3000.

Sound and Design

The high quality of the Force 3000 sound is the result of a new birch shell construction.
The even and durable fiber structure of select plies of birch is the foundation for the drums clear resonance and powerful attack. The drums have 9-ply, 7.5mm cross-laminated shells (bass drums are 11-ply, 8.5mm) and have traditional Sonor precision 45 degree bearing edges. This combination enable a clear precise tone. All drums are fitted with original Sonor EP drumheads. The Force 3000 design is the consequent development of Sonor's new visual appearance. The one-piece tubular style lugs have a modern look, and actually releive shell stress when tension is applied.
Another feature of Force 3000 drums is their high quality finish. Three high gloss lacquer finishes and one natural finish are available.

(this was expanded in 1994 to include 1 covered finish and 3 stain finishes.)

Selection

Many different setups are available, since the Force 3000 series allows the building of drumkits from individual components. Three lacquer finishes and one natural finish are available:
High Gloss Black, Snow White, Red Crimson, and Scandinavian Birch.

The Force 3000 drums are compatible with all Sonor Hardware series.

Force 3000 Components

component

size

article-no.

snare drum

6 1/2" x 14"

FD 306

bass drum

16" x 20"

FG 320

16" x 22"

FG 322

16" x 24"

FG 324

tom tom

8" x 8"

FT 308

9" x 10"

FT 310

10" x 12"

FT 312

11" x 13"

FT 313

12" x 14"

FT 314

floor tom

16" x 16"

16" x 18"

FFT 316

FFT 318

available in:

High Gloss Black

B

Snow White

SW

Scandinavian Birch

MB

Red Crimson

RC

Celluloid Turkis

CT

Stain Azure

SA

Stain Mint

SM

Walnut Finish

WA

Technical Data

Snare Drum

• 9-ply wood shell, basic material birch, approximately 7.5 mm thick

• 10 tension lugs per side for accurate tuning

• dependable side-throw snare strainer release with fine-tune adjustment

• 24-strand stainless steel snares

• available in three lacquer finishes (High Gloss Black, Snow White and Red Crimson) and one natural finish (Scandinavian birch)

• specially-tapered uniform snare bed for increased sensitivity and projection

• supplied with ring muffler for batter head

• 45° bevelled bearing edges for minimal head-to-shell contact and pure tonal quality

• plastic gaskets underneath all lugs to avoid direct contact with the shell

• equipped standard with Sonor EP regular white coated batter head and transparent medium SD snare head for optimum sound

Bass Drums

• 11-ply wood shell, basic material birch, approximately 8.5 mm thick

• available in three lacquer finishes (High Gloss Black, Snow White and Red Crimson) and one natural finish (Scandinavian birch)

• bass drum hoops in matching lacquer finishes

• 20" bass drum has 16 tension rods; 22" and 24" have 20 tension rods for precise tuning

• bass drum spurs with memory gauges for forward angle and leg height adjustment

• bass drum spurs convert from rubber to spike point to insure stability on any floor

• split-jaw bass drum mount for secure grip of the tom tom holder tube

• 45° bevelled bearing edges for minimal head-to-shell contact and pure tonal quality

• one-piece tubular-style lugs relieve shell stress

• equipped standard with Sonor XP thin batter head and regular black medium front head for optimum sound

Tom Toms

• one piece tubular-style lugs relieve shell stress

• indirect split-jaw mounting bracket insures secure placement of the toms

• equipped with original Sonor XP thin batter head and regular transparent medium bottom head for optimum sound

Floor Toms

• 45' bevelled bearing edges for minimal head-to-shell contact and pure tonal quality

• knurling of floor tom legs insures non-slip stability in leg height adjustment

• oversized rubber tips on legs keep the floor tom in position

• equipped with original Sonor XP thin batter head and regular transparent medium bottom head for optimum sound

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
Whoops, here it is:

Technical Data Snare Drum • 9-ply wood shell, basic material birch, approximately 7.5 mm thick

• 10 tension lugs per side for accurate tuning

• dependable side-throw snare strainer release with fine-tune adjustment

• 24-strand stainless steel snares

• specially-tapered uniform snare bed for increased sensitivity and projection

• supplied with ring muffler for batter head

• equipped standard with Sonor EP regular white coated batter head and transparent medium SD snare head for optimum sound
Bass Drums • 11-ply wood shell, basic material birch, approximately 8.5 mm thick

• bass drum hoops in matching lacquer finishes

• 20" bass drum has 16 tension rods; 22" and 24" have 20 tension rods for precise tuning

• bass drum spurs with memory gauges for forward angle and leg height adjustment

• bass drum spurs convert from rubber to spike point to insure stability on any floor

• split-jaw bass drum mount for secure grip of the tom tom holder tube

• one-piece tubular-style lugs relieve shell stress

• equipped standard with Sonor XP thin batter head and regular black medium front head for optimum sound Tom Toms • 9-ply wood shell, basic material birch, approximately 7.5 mm thick

• indirect split-jaw mounting bracket insures secure placement of the toms

Floor Toms • 9-ply wood shell, basic material birch, approximately 7.5 mm thick

• 45' bevelled bearing edges for minimal head-to-shell contact and pure tonal quality

• knurling of floor tom legs insures non-slip stability in leg height adjustment

• oversized rubber tips on legs keep the floor tom in position

W

wayne

Yes, they say basic material birch a couple of times...What the heck does that mean????....Good eye btw!!

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for pulling that up, bonzoleum! "Basic material birch" sounds to me like obfuscation to avoid directly revealing ply materials.

Regardless, I can say that I really like my F3K and frankly was very disappointed when Sonor chose to use the "Force" designation for the far-eastern drums from China. Kinda diluted the line in my mind....YMMV.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have one, 24, 12, 16 and 14" snare.
Great kit, amazing sound with a good tuning range.

Rockin' kit, Sparkly!
Nice use of multi clamps. :thumbright:
Is that the gloss black finish? the reflection on the 12" almost makes it appear to be a very deep and dark blue.

Elvis