Sonor force 3000

W

wayne

I looked it up. Basic material simply means "cheap" Chinese white birch. Its not a quality hardwood at all, which explainns the "mid line" tag. This means nothing to me, as long as the drums sound ok, but i wish they would be more up front with the description. After all, the shell starts with the wood. Maybe we should assume this because of the price point, but if Sonor was embarrased to mention that fact, it makes me wonder why?

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wayne:

Just thinking out loud here, but I suspect at the time these drums were in production, Sonor was still touting the "Made in Germany" (by bavarian elves, I guess) even though this was a "midprice" line kit. The company wanted to continue with the attractive factor that all their drums were produced in Germany....none of that import stuff for them, eh?

Regardless, the build quality of my two kits is very good. (At the same level as my DeLites or even my DW Collectors? Nope. Not even in the same ballpark) but I still enjoy them as they have a very nice, punchy sound, the bearing edges you can shave with and the finish, while not exactly "flawless" on the green lacquer kit, acceptable for a "throw 'em in the cases and gig the heck out of them" set of tools.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I looked it up. Basic material simply means "cheap" Chinese white birch. Its not a quality hardwood at all, which explainns the "mid line" tag. This means nothing to me, as long as the drums sound ok, but i wish they would be more up front with the description. After all, the shell starts with the wood. Maybe we should assume this because of the price point, but if Sonor was embarrased to mention that fact, it makes me wonder why?
Could it be, that "Basic Material Birch" is a quicker/easier of saying that the inner and outer plies are Birch and whatever is stuffed inbetween is just filler?
The Birch composite shells always sold for less than the 100% Birch shells, regardless of whose name is attached to it.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Blue flash!
That makes sense.
Thanks for answering my question and sharing that way cool kit.
:thumbright:

Elvis

sonusseeker

Reaction score
...from my understanding of the situation, the force 3000/force maple series drums were released in the early/mid-90s as a supplement, and then replacement (in "select" birch/maple), for the hilite (maple only) series, the latter of which was positioned directly under (and targeted at the "working pro") the ultra exclusive (and expensive) signature series (which was itself ultimately replaced by the designer series)...if one peruses the sonor museum price list catalog for 1996, one would find the force 3000/force maple listed under the designer series and retailing for around usd5,500 (6 piece kit with basic hardware)...it is unfortunate that sonor used a bewildering mix of similar-sounding names leading to a muddling of market perception about product positioning, quality and pricing...imho...

sonorheppy

Reaction score
Elvis - new kit. I have had these guys 25 years. It's a tough call but I want to have something built just for me. I found a local company (Risen drums) in minneapolis that is making me a nice, warm, recording snare. I'm going to see how that goes and possibly use them or DW.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I know what you're going through sonorheppy.
I think most of us here know what you're going through ( ;) )
Good luck with that and thanks for the suggestion.
Risen drums is new to me, I'll have to check 'em out.

Elvis

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Old thread.. whatever, it’s fun to bump old topics, isn’t it?

I ended up here after googling “sonor force with long lugs” .. because my wife’s co worker told her they had a “blue drumset in the basement we could have.. we think it’s a .... Ludwig??”
Well it ended up being sonor force 2001.. of course I was let down but I made sure not to get my hopes up too much at the same time.
I’m going to tell her I’m not interested, and pass them along to a kid that might love them

Attachments

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really love mine and give them full endorsement.

They have that Teutonic birchenheisen mojo-meister jaeger-thumpen lederhosen pocket booty-bunchen vibe.

This is a 20/10/14 configuration, so it’s not exactly great for rock in the traditional or classic sense. But the tone is great with that sort of self-equalizing balance. Sound guys and gals seem to like working with them under mic live and they are easy to record.

The 20x17 kick is killer for funk and groove and pocket stuff. Mine is just a super kick I, ported 1 ply front with nothing in the drum. Just a powerful drum

The toms have good presence and are versatile for dynamics and articulation, which is good news if you play more complex patterns/fills.

I tracked down a matching 7 x 14 snare. Highly recommended. Great snare.

Thus was my only kit for 10 years and it never let me down for funk and covers—good for everything you’d want except maybe those genres that seem to need Big Maple (but even then that’s open to taste and preference and tuning.)

Very well built drums. In fact so well built that might be my only criticism. They are heavy.
6A77EB2F-8F06-4960-A44E-DB0FE3769590.jpeg
C4E27DCB-58A6-4AEA-934A-0A75FE4BB1D0.jpeg
05104A5C-C730-49C9-AE8F-5AFB367B791D.jpeg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

I wanted that kit some kinda bad....still do, I guess.

Elvis
I realize this isn't exactly the thread for this, but I just found my old post here and wanted to bring that story full circle, by stating that I recently pulled the trigger on a Force Custom bop kit that I found on Reverb.
Same finish as the one pictured above, but no BD cymbal boom.
Ticked another one off the bucket list...

Zildjian_K_20LightFlatRide2.JPG

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those Force Customs were made in Asia right beside Slingerland at the time in the early 90s under Buzz King. Nice drums, had the snare once.

Those Scandi F3Ks look great and your bd is 16 deep

My F3Ks are in Snow
10 12 13 racks
16 18 floors
20 22 bds

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
LOL! Everytime I mention my Force Customs, someone always has to tell me they were made in Asia...like I didn't already know that.
Man, you people are informed! =D

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is not a more confusing word in the Sonor history then Force.

In the Sonor world for most people Force anything means Cheap and not made in Germany.

This is all Sonors fault in poor marketing over the years. The original Force series was the 2000 poplar then 3000 birch before moving Force entirely off shore from Aue.

This is an F3k thread right? Someone will always through another Asian Force kit on the thread and many feel it just cheapens the reputation of anything Force... even the best ones which are the F3ks all German. The birch used is from the EU and not China BTW.

So your Force Customs are nice North American maple shells, but not in the same ballpark as anything made in Germany which are made by the same hands in the same machines that made every other drum in Aue including Signatures, the Jet Set which still holds the record for most expensive drum set ever made in Guiness Book, and SQ2 today.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL! Everytime I mention my Force Customs, someone always has to tell me they were made in Asia...like I didn't already know that.
Oh, man. I had some Asian Sonors and they were great drums. Not so much the snare but the kick and toms and hardware back were
I had some Asian-made Forces before i got the Force 3ks Scandis. They were maple, thin and—excluding the snare drum—really nice drums. They tuned nicely and I got a lot of compliments on the sound, including from other drummers .

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely

Truth be told, the AQ2 is just another spin on the 3007 shells, which everyone has nothing but kind words. Having owned both, the Force Customs are also very similar and just as good, but the 3005 and 7 have TAR mount. It's the longest running Asian shell layup of maple from HHS into the SClass Pro to KHS today with the AQ2.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
My first decent kit was a Sonic Plus bought new in 1996. As I recall they were marketed as all birch. At any rate they sound awesome. Many other drums have come and gone but people always remark on how good they sound. And they're pretty heavy

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it's less about the drums themselves and more about the connection to the legendary Aue plant. OTOH, it's been a few decades since we see anything coming from Ludwig and Slingerland's Chicago, Gretsch's New York, and Roger's Covington (and even Fullerton) plants. Relax.