Sonor Martini kit

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Sonor Safari kit (16" bass) that I use as a beater. The drums sound remarkably good for the price point.

I purchased them used but in great condition and they came with pads for muting, a bass pedal, and snare stand for $200. Would be a great starter set.

apcpa2000

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too used to have a Safari. Bought it for my son but t used it myself. Great set of drums for the price.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're not going to pick up something used, (which is probably more bang for the buck), the Martinis have really impressed me. I played them a bit in a store recently, and I thought they sounded pretty darn good. I use a 14" bass drum regularly, though, so I may be biased. The champagne sparkle finish looked coolest in person to my eye.

Ludwig's Breakbeats are often found even cheaper, and offer sizes that are a little more flexible than the Martinis. They sounded equally good to me. That would ultimately be my recommendation.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Polska said:
Thanks for the tip on the breakbeats - $249 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/ludwig-pocket-kit/j41130000003000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwktHLBRDsARIsAFBSb6x2o2uNMZ86PgOyaSHBgn_eihby5t3yV7mE9X7y8CR7DDXRQTUKKr0aAkkwEALw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^143155899162-sku^[email protected]^PLA

Not my call, used or new cause it's not my kid but my friend also doesn't want to overwhelm him with a 22" Bonham kit for example. :) Thought this might be a great option for a smaller kid, but not buying a "toy" beginner kit. Plus, maybe I'll buy it off him when he upgrades!
Yeah, I definitely know people who use the Breakbeats for "real," but the sizes are small enough that they wouldn't overwhelm a 10-y-o. Good luck!

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
As many around here know, I'm all for small and compact drums. However, I think you can go too small, especially with the fundamental drums (bass, snare, rack tom, and floor tom). The 8 inch tom of the Sonor Martini limits the kit quite a bit, as do the 12 inch snare drum and 14 inch bass drum. I realize your friend wants this for their ten year old son, however, I recommend going a size up, to the Sonor Safari kit. The Safari is much more likely to be useful for pre-teen years, teen years, and adulthood.

Edited to add: Sonor Safari versus Ludwig Breakbeat. I recommend Sonor Safari, due to the 14 inch snare drum and 14 inch floor tom. The standard (and slightly larger) sizes of those two drums may be a tad more difficult for a ten year old, but in a very short time this child will need and want to learn on standard sizes. Children grow so quickly!

For reference:

Sonor Safari Sizes
14x5 SD
10x8 RT
14x12 FT
16x16 BD

Ludwig Breakbeat sizes
12x5 SD
10x7 RT
13x11 FT
16x14 BD

cymtrich

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have the martini kit. for a 10 year old i think it would be fine right out of the box. as he progresses think about better heads. also, i did`nt like the tone of the 8" tom so i changed it out for a 10" sonor i found on ebay. it`s a well made kit and if you look close the hardware is good quality. bill

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm almost certain Breakbeats gave a 14" snare. I believe the "Pocket Kit" is the one with a 12" .

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Breakbeats kit has a 5x14" snare. The floor tom is 13x13" and is a KILLER drum. I love that size floor tom, especially paired with a 10" tom.

Great drums for any level drummer.