Sonor Martini SE 3pc Shellpack

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This has been my main gigging kit for about 6 months now, surprisingly good sounding drums. In near perfect condition --- I can't find any dings or marks anywhere, but it has been gigged so it's not one of those "never left my studio" kits. Looks just like the picture below (stock photo) --- I'll add some pics of the actual kit in the next couple days, or ask for specific pics if you need them.

Color is the turquoise glitter shown in the stock photo. This is for the bass drum, rack tom, floor tom only --- NO SNARE. Includes the bass drum riser, rack tom mounting post and floor tom legs. Heads are all Fiberskyn FA's in 9/10 condition. Comes with a complete set of soft cases sized for these drums.

Sizes: Bass drum = 14x12; rack tom = 8x8; floor tom = 13x10, all poplar.

These are not toy kits... you'll be amazed at the sound you can get out of these. Nice natural wood rims on the bass drum. Very easy to tune. Sonor quality hardware all around.

$375 shipped, lower 48, unless you live in some place on the edge of the world where they charge ridiculous amounts, in which case I might ask for some help with shipping costs.

sonor-martini-review_shell-set-blue.jpg

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought bass drum heads have a slightly different collar than tom/snare heads. Is that not an issue for these drums?

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought bass drum heads have a slightly different collar than tom/snare heads. Is that not an issue for these drums?
To my knowledge there isn't a specific 14" bass drum head made by any company. I could be wrong. I'm guessing Sonor designed this kit to be used with regular 14" heads. Same with the Odery Cafe Kit.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^ This is true and why Sonor provides a felt strip with the set. I’ve tired a power stroke snare head and it consumes the ring too much.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remo makes a 14" bass drum head.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remo makes a 14" bass drum head.

Wow, I did not know that. Do they have any other 14" bass drum heads?

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, this Remo head has a bass drum collar on it? Does that mean the Martini stock head is made that way?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The stock head is a light coated “UT” type single ply 10 mil. So, a coated ambassador. Remo makes 14” heads from clear to white, coated, etc. in different weights. When you say “collar” I believe you mean muffling ring like a power stroke. That is not the head included nor one that seems to work well on the set in my experience.

Last edited:

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The stock head is a light coated “UT” type single ply 10 mil. So, a coated ambassador. Remo makes 14” heads from clear to white, coated, etc. in different weights. When you say “collar” I believe you mean muffling ring like a power stroke. That is not the head included nor one that seems to work well on the set in my experience.
Maybe I didn't explain it right. No, I'm not talking about a muffling ring. For example - on smaller kits with a 16" bass, you're not supposed to use a 16" floor tom head on those. You need a head made for a bass drum with a different collar on it made for a drum with hoops on it. There are head companies who make a 16"specific bass head. I know those UT heads are basically disposable. Maybe you can use a regular 14" head on these Martini kits, that's what I'm not quite clear on here.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't explain it right. No, I'm not talking about a muffling ring. For example - on smaller kits with a 16" bass, you're not supposed to use a 16" floor tom head on those. You need a head made for a bass drum with a different collar on it made for a drum with hoops on it. There are head companies who make a 16"specific bass head. I know those UT heads are basically disposable. Maybe you can use a regular 14" head on these Martini kits, that's what I'm not quite clear on here.
Now tracking. Yes there is a slightly more substantial metal collar on all the Sonor UT heads on the set. In fact, they are similar to the metal on weathermaster heads just more squared off. Virtually any drum head does work on the bd.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Yes, a ‘regular’ head will fit Martini bass drum.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was like most kit snares, not the best, hard to tune, nothing special about the sound. Tons of good-sounding small snares out there, if that's your thing. I never played it so off it went...

[cheap bump]

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, back to the bass drum head question, the batter side on the bass drum on the kit I'm selling is an Aquarian Fibreskyn, which I'm 99% certain is just a stock 14" head, not a specific bass drum head. Fits just fine under the wood hoops.

I was simply pointing out that there are 14" specific bass drum heads out there, in case that's an issue.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, back to the bass drum head question, the batter side on the bass drum on the kit I'm selling is an Aquarian Fibreskyn, which I'm 99% certain is just a stock 14" head, not a specific bass drum head. Fits just fine under the wood hoops.

I was simply pointing out that there are 14" specific bass drum heads out there, in case that's an issue.
Did you mean the batter is an Aquarian Modern Vintage? Is it a 2 ply?

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No, not Modern Vintage... Fiberskyn ---> https://remo.com/products/product/ambassador-fiberskyn/

Originally made for concert and marching, but got popular on jazz drums as a warm, low range head... similar to the MV's, but a tad stiffer and smooth. Not for use on snare because there's no texture for brush work, but great on bd's because they last forever and have a great low end.

Latest posts