Sonor Phonic bass drum hoop question

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I might be able to get a dusty but otherwise great condition set of 20/12/14 Phonics in the Mahogany veneer. They were never gigged live; always lived in studios. My question is this: were ALL Phonics sold with metal bass drum hoops, or were matching stained wood hoops an option? Although the colors look to be a good match, I notice the grain on the front hoop is a horizontal grain, unlike the vertical grain of the veneer. The fellow I'm negotiating with is second owner, and he's a guitarist, so he wouldn't know whether they were original or aftermarket. My final offer will be based on whether they're original or not.

Also, I noticed that the floor tom's grommet is missing, although the badge is intact. Are these an easy find?

20190106_153148.jpg
20190106_153155.jpg
20190106_153200.jpg
IMG_7912_20190105_141403.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
Yes all Phonics had seamless Ferro manganese hoops. Later Phonic Plus did have wood hoops but never standard Phonics. Btw that 20 is rare in any finish and 14 floors are also hard to come by.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
Oh you can get the grommet from ST drums in Germany but the shipping would be more then the grommet. Hit the Vintage Sonor FB group, some guys on there have some hoarded here in the US

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I think those hoops are correct. I owned a larger set of the same era, same finish and the 14x22 had those hoops. The toms (9x13,16x16) were also Phonic, not the Pluses.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh you can get the grommet from ST drums in Germany but the shipping would be more then the grommet. Hit the Vintage Sonor FB group, some guys on there have some hoarded here in the US
I contacted the us sonor warehouse (HSS?) last year and got some champion parts. They were cheaper than the used guys.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
The biggest question with the hoops is how do the claws fit? Sometimes the wood hoops profile was different that the metal ones. Those are great drums though regardless and I've always loved that color.

Latest posts