Sonor Phonic Reissue Snares

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A local dealer was able to get hold of a pair of these, and after several months of waiting, they arrived the other day. I was there, I helped open the boxes, and I fell in love. So much so that I bought them both on the spot. Pretty extravagant of me, but these Phonics are special.

The 5.75" Rosewood is 12-ply Beech (with Rosewood outer and inner plies), and the 6.5" Mahogany is 9-ply Beech (with Mahogany outer only). Both have very sharp 45 degree edges that are flawless.

They both sound absolutely superb - quite probably the best snare drums I've ever played.

Attachments

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are awesome snares ! So you sort of accidentally discovered these .. correct ??

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rhyma Hop said:
Those are awesome snares ! So you sort of accidentally discovered these .. correct ??
They are! I've been aware of the Phonic line for years, but they were always way out of my pay grade back in the day. I knew of one local guy that had a set back in the early 80s, but I never played them. They've always just been something I'd admired from afar. Now I know what the fuss was about. :)

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Radio King said:
They are! I've been aware of the Phonic line for years, but they were always way out of my pay grade back in the day. I knew of one local guy that had a set back in the early 80s, but I never played them. They've always just been something I'd admired from afar. Now I know what the fuss was about. :icon_smile:
Those die-casts are to die for IMO.

Chayro

Reaction score
I think Sonor is real smart. They're aiming for guys who lusted after those drums way back, but couldn't afford them. Like all the US car companies are doing reissues of the 69-70 Mustangs, Camaros, etc.
I would have loved a Phonic rosewood kit. For me, the Designer kits, good as they were, just didn't have the vibe of the Phonic series. Anyway - enjoy those beautiful drums. Just set em up and look at them.
You can play them too!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Chayro said:
I think Sonor is real smart. They're aiming for guys who lusted after those drums way back, but couldn't afford them. Like all the US car companies are doing reissues of the 69-70 Mustangs, Camaros, etc.
I would have loved a Phonic rosewood kit. For me, the Designer kits, good as they were, just didn't have the vibe of the Phonic series. Anyway - enjoy those beautiful drums. Just set em up and look at them.
You can play them too!
:) I'm already taking inventory of what snares I'm going to be selling, as these likely will be seeing a lot of gig time.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, superb specimens of Sonor goodness - congrats!!

For me, German-made Sonor is one of the few that lives up to the hype.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Very cool. I've got a 5x14 Sonor rosewood (champion, thinner shell than the phonic) that's my go-to for just about everything these days. Glad to see Sonor doing these right.

Now, if they made a full reissue KIT (including the tom mounting system), I might get in line...

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I can't wait to play these out.

Regarding the strainer - it's the same throw off they used on the Designer Series snares.

Chayro

Reaction score
if I were going to play them out, I would definitely replace and save the logo head and probably get an aftermarket diecast hoop to avoid messing up the original. If I were doing a rock gig. I know it's a little neurotic, but they are too beautiful to mess up. maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the original have pressed hoops? That's how I remember it.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chayro said:
maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the original have pressed hoops? That's how I remember it.
They did. They were actually SEAMLESS triple flange hoops. How in the hell did they do that way back then eh ?? They did it right there in front of their faces on a machine. See the guy in the photo right above the bottom left photo. All hoops for toms and snares were seamless.

They did'nt have die-cast at the time.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Chayro said:
if I were going to play them out, I would definitely replace and save the logo head and probably get an aftermarket diecast hoop to avoid messing up the original. If I were doing a rock gig. I know it's a little neurotic, but they are too beautiful to mess up.
Nah, they're meant to be played. I did remove the original batter heads, though. ;-)

Chayro

Reaction score
I would definitely like to try them out with triple-flanged hoops as well. Diecasts can be good, but sometimes a little confining on a thick -shelled drum.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting and old thread here...

I would like to hear from anyone that owns either of these model of snare drums. Also if you've had the chance to play one, tap on one - all good.

Thanks!

Latest posts