Sonor Phonic vs. Champion

Germandrummer

Reaction score
My recently acquired early black badge Phonic (22/13/14/16) in metallic ruby will soon be complemented by a late 1980s white Champion in 22/12/13/16.

Now that I don`t like to have too much projects in the basement I have to make a decision.

I like the Phonics` fat sound and rock appeal but the Champion might be the more versatile kit? I suppose Sonor didn`t choose the Champion shells exemplary for the Vintage series without having a good reason.

On the other hand there is actually a former Charly Antolini Phonic for sale here in Germany and Charly couldn`t be further away from rock, so it`s just a matter of personal taste?

Please give me some opinions which kit should I keep.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you research this site Identify Your Sonor Drum, it says that by the late 1980's, Champion were no longer being produced. Compare the badge on your Champion kit to what you find there and you can find out exactly what Sonor kit you have.

The Vintage series takes features from more than one line of Sonor drums. It shares the Teardrop lug. The rounded bearing edges are found on a number of Sonor beech kits, and the kitsch wraps definitely harken back to the TD line.

The heavier shell Phonic kits can be used for any kind of music. I've seen them in jazz clubs and stadium rock shows and everywhere in between. Jazzers love them tuned high for bop kits. Rockers love them for their power and punch, usually tuned a bit lower.

Keep the kit that is more complete and less of a project, since you mentioned not wanting another project. Not knowing what your "Champion" kit really is limits any advice, but I'd go with the Phonic kit if the other kit has rounded edges and thinner shells (not as desirable to me). Phonics can do everything.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
My recently acquired early black badge Phonic (22/13/14/16) in metallic ruby will soon be complemented by a late 1980s white Champion in 22/12/13/16.

Now that I don`t like to have too much projects in the basement I have to make a decision.

I like the Phonics` fat sound and rock appeal but the Champion might be the more versatile kit? I suppose Sonor didn`t choose the Champion shells exemplary for the Vintage series without having a good reason.

On the other hand there is actually a former Charly Antolini Phonic for sale here in Germany and Charly couldn`t be further away from rock, so it`s just a matter of personal taste?

Please give me some opinions which kit should I keep.

I have a 22/13/14/16 Phonic in candy apply red. Sounds great, even looks good in a seventies sort of way, but the 14 is basically useless (unless one wants to try to convert it into a snare), while the kit itself - especially with chrome steel hoops on the bass drum - weighs a ton, and probably why I have never taken it out of the house.

PHONIC EBAY 1.jpg

The Champion is lighter (6-ply vs. 9-ply shells, though it too had chrome steel hoops on the bass drum), and the sizes are more useful.

The Charly Antolini kit, while interesting as a piece of memorabilia, is in an plain Jane color and in average sizes (and with an aftermarket hoop on the reso side of the bass drum). Asking is 3.999 Euros ($4,486.50 USD!), which is way too high IMHO, considering that as drums they're worth perhaps one-quarter that amount, Charly Antolini juju, notwithstanding. Moreover, it's basically a 9-ply version of the Champion kit you're considering (the sizes in the description are incorrect).

If you have to sell one or the other, I'd sell the Phonics, and pass on the Charly Antolini kit for the above-mentioned reasons.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I have a 22/13/14/16 Phonic in candy apply red. Sounds great, even looks good in a seventies sort of way, but the 14 is basically useless (unless one wants to try to convert it into a snare), while the kit itself - especially with chrome steel hoops on the bass drum - weighs a ton, and probably why I have never taken it out of the house.

View attachment 448290

The Champion is lighter (6-ply vs. 9-ply shells, though it too had chrome steel hoops on the bass drum), and the sizes are more useful.

The Charly Antolini kit, while interesting as a piece of memorabilia, is in an plain Jane color and in average sizes (and with an aftermarket hoop on the reso side of the bass drum). Asking is 3.999 Euros ($4,486.50 USD!), which is way too high IMHO, considering that as drums they're worth perhaps one-quarter that amount, Charly Antolini juju, notwithstanding. Moreover, it's basically a 9-ply version of the Champion kit you're considering (the sizes in the description are incorrect).

If you have to sell one or the other, I'd sell the Phonics, and pass on the Charly Antolini kit for the above-mentioned reasons.
That`s a nice kit! It also matches perfectly your wooden patio;-)

Tom sizes of our Phonics area burden that`s true but making a snare out of the 14" definitely got me! Will think about it!

The Antolini kit was just for illustration. I would never spend for names!

I try to convince my wife to keep both kits for a while to compare them and make a decision.

Will come up with more photos when I got the Champions next week.

Attachments