Sonor Phonics?

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A local ad is calling these Sonor Phonic drums from the 80’s. Can anyone verify this from these pics?
From what I can find, these are possibly Sonor Swinger drums from the 60’s/70’s. But I don’t know anything about Sonor. Please enlighten me.
Thanks.
DD7ABBEA-FE62-472E-92FE-28145E470A2D.jpeg
5450C199-0B79-4E77-AA43-863EE6147C1A.jpeg

Last edited:

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Not Phonic, these are the lower-line from the early/mid 70s, variously called Swinger, Action etc. Still quality beech shells but with less finishing work, cheaper hardware and plastic lugs.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sonor Swinger, those look like the plastic lugs . Regular 6 ply , flawless undersized shells , superb resonance . You can see the threaded insert being drawn out of the right hand lug in the top pic. That was a problem with mine . Tri flange hoop not factory . If the price was right, I'd buy them for the shells and finagle some tube lugs .

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Price IS right. Good idea Benny! Do you suppose Phonic lugs fit those holes? Worth digging some up?

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely intrigued to hear them as they are.
hopefully I hear back...

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
The hole spacing on the Swinger lugs is different than those on the Phonic/Champion series (and I don't know the hole spacing of either, but suffice to say that I believe the Swingers had a slightly longer spacing). However, there are some aftermarket lugs out there that will fit. Since what you'll end up with will be a "players grade" kit, using aftermarket/non-Sonor lugs shouldn't matter all that much.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was the point good observation. These kits were sold mostly in the EU to go head to head with American imports. You don't see as many Action, Rocker, or Swingers in the US and they can be confused with Ludwig in old pics from a distance.

Latest posts