Sonor Protec hardware

flatwins

Reaction score
In studying up on Yamaha’s aluminum “Crosstown” hardware, I ran across Sonor’s Protec hardware from the late 80s. Anyone have any experience with it? Was it successful or problematic? I see the occasional piece come up for sale but it seems like it’s priced more for the collector market.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love it! I have a hihat that has a couple of signature parts on it and it is butter! Agree with Frank, it is big and not really that light weight. They made if for five years in silver and black. Originally came with the lite and hilite kits.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Only the legs, stand tubes, and snare basket are aluminum. The rest is standard Sonor metal, but painted silver. Great hardware. I had a giant set of it at one time.

flatwins

Reaction score
It’s certainly great looking hardware though I’d imagine most of it has been hoarded by the Sonor aficionados.

For the current breed of lightweight hardware I’ll eventually pick up some of the Yamaha Crosstown stuff.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you remember Gibraltar’s short lived version in the early 90’s? The AX series. The legs would bend, and the length of the legs was not proportional to the upper tubes, so risk of toppling over.

flatwins

Reaction score
Do you remember Gibraltar’s short lived version in the early 90’s? The AX series. The legs would bend, and the length of the legs was not proportional to the upper tubes, so risk of toppling over.
I wasn’t familiar with it but looked it up. I was somewhat out of touch with the industry at the time and for at least half of the 90s the only kit I owned was a Roland electronic.