Sonor Rosewood bop kit: Champion or Teardrop. Maybe Phonic.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 12/14/18 Sonor bop kit in rosewood.

Ideally, I'd love to find a 6-ply Champion set, as I have the matching snare right now and it's a dream.

I'm in upstate NY, and will be up and down the east coast of the US through the summer. Shipping's cool, too.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Well aware. :) Prepared to sell off some pretty nice stuff when I find said Sonors. Moving into a new live-work house/recording studio that's a bit cozy, so in the mood to downsize and upgrade.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had such a set for 35 years; sold it after buying a used set of Canopus RMV maples.

I think the Canopus blows the Phonics out of the water sonically. It's also much lighter, despite the solid brass lugs.

I've seen used Canopus bop kits running from $1200-1700.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
AaronLatos said:
I'm looking for a 12/14/18 Sonor bop kit in rosewood.

Ideally, I'd love to find a 6-ply Champion set, as I have the matching snare right now and it's a dream.

I'm in upstate NY, and will be up and down the east coast of the US through the summer. Shipping's cool, too.
I'm in corning ny. .where are you? Don't have sonor but if you are close come over and check out my gretsch bop kit and slingys

W

wayne

IMO, hold out for Sonor drums, there is nothing else like them. Get a hold of Charlie or Ringo, I bet they have bop size Sonor....Nothing compares.

phatsolid

Reaction score
If you decide you're interested in building through orphans, I have a 15x12" rosewood Phonic Centennial (1975) tom I'd let go for pretty cheap.

- David

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Thanks for the leads! David, I'll let you know if o go that route... do love 15s.

Have a recording session coming up and really trying to line up this kit before if I can. To recap: 12/14/16, rosewood in 6-ply (Teardrops or early Champions, which have the phonic lugs but the Teardrop shells).

Trade bait: burgundy sparkle Camcos. ;)

drum-al

Reaction score
Not sure if it's too late - BUT - I am getting to ready sell a 1976 Champion, 12/14/18, in the natural beech finish. Drums have the 45 degree bearing edges. I'm in Rhode Island. I am the original owner. Sold it a number of years ago and bought it back a number of years ago. It came back with extra holes in the bass drum from using a different set of spurs and maple hoops (do not have original metal hoops). (the original Sonor spurs are on the kit) Toms are in very good condition. I have original FT legs, but the chrome is in bad condition (peeled), so kit comes with six FT legs. Drums are in good shape for a 40 year old kit and priced accordingly, definitely not $$$$$$.

Sorry though not rosewood

-alex

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
And I'm getting Alex's kit. :)

Still open to pick up some Rosewoods in the future if anyone has some, but these'll get me started! :)

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
We are the Champions, my friend!!!! Congrats!

Mine are a bit older with rounded edges, but I love them!