Sonor "Session Maple" Drums

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just found this listing for a series of Sonor that I had no idea even existed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonor-Session-Maple-3pc-Drum-Set-Shell-Pack-Trans-Red-22-12-16-/270884148820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f11f41654

Friendly price, appears to borrow the Ascent hardware, and the deep red stain wood finish on this kit is really nice. I'm sure these come from China... but $649 (shipped) is a reasonable price point for North American Maple with a gorgeous lacguer finish like this.

I'm hoping our pro drum reviewers will look these over at some point. I don't know, they look pretty good to me.

Judges?

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those look really nice. I'd want a set if they came in the sizes that I like.. the price is sure nice. While they certainly don't look as fancy as Sonor's more expensive offerings, I have to wonder if they sound at all close. I'd love to hear this kit side by side with Sonor's more expensive maple drums and hear how much different they sound. They could be a lot closer than we'd imagine...

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weird. I've never seen any other references to that series. I have to wonder if those are like left-over 3007 shells or something...

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe the Sessions series (as well as the Arena series) were a limited edition configuration comprised of Force 3007 (maple) shells. The Session was a 12/16/22 shell pack; the Arena series a 13/16/24 shell pack. These sort of competed with a similar configuration in the Gretsch Renown series.

I believe Sonor also offered something called the "Special Edition" series, which I think were based around the Force 3007 (birch) series. Regardless, these are basically NOS stuff that Sonor is blowing out of their warehouse.

I suspect that theses series may have been made for GC or some other big-box retailer (e.g. often such entities have manufacturers make up sets in custom colors or configurations that the retailer then has exclusive rights to so there fore they cannot be "shopped" by the consumer the same way as a regular production series can).

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sonor blowing out unused shells from discontinued series rebadged as "something special".

I believe they are ending production of the 3007 or whatever they call the china built lines this year (2011) and converting over to the Force Select type of things.

The magic elves in Bavaria keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

W

wayne

Excuse me; I believe the elf you,re referring to is in Vancouver Canada?

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
HA HAH HAH thanks to franke and Lee for the info. I hadn't guessed that. You gotta love those magic elves though. :-D

So, it's probably impossible to order a set of these in 10/12/14/20-type configurations, I gather. Too bad. I had them in mind for a friend of mine. ;)

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Finish looks nice from the pics,if those are 3007 shells looks like a good deal to me.

I did a kit share on a fusion maple 3007,got to hear them out front and behind the kit,and they were good sounding drums,the owner had them tuned well at med high tension,they had good tone for sure.

Nice little practice/gigging kit for the money.

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I figure they have to sound pretty close to these Essential Force Maples:

[media]
[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
The Special Edition label is ubiquitous on both 2007 and 3007 Sonor drums, and was all over the map from the get-go. I put together a set two years ago from scraps, and all the pieces were labeled Special Edition.

This badge label appeared on shell packs with and without hardware, and dealers couldn't cough up a straight answer as to what they were because they evidently had no clue.
The Special Edition 3007s that I own were simply a unique shell pack configuration that included an 8' tom (8, 10, 12, 16, 22 plus 14 snare)

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks good to me. If I were in the market I'd certainly consider them. The only drawback would be their limited sizes and color selection. You know they'll be in the 99 cent bin of drumsets soon too. Too bad. They look a little like Mapex Meridian Maples and I am totally struck with the Candy Apple red kit. In any case, good looking Sonors that probably sound at least as good as they look. BTW Bongo...ya need another friend?

Jamie

Reaction score
Just bought the session kit for gigs. I got a pretty good deal from Shane at DCP. Same specs as the Select Force but no suspension mount and very limited sizes and finishes. I will post a review when I get them.

J.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sonor blowing out unused shells from discontinued series rebadged as "something special".

I believe they are ending production of the 3007 or whatever they call the china built lines this year (2011) and converting over to the Force Select type of things.

The magic elves in Bavaria keep trying to reinvent the wheel.
DW just did this on a much smaller scale through Pacific. They wiped out their left over Keller made shells from their Classic series drums and produced 50(limited edition) 22/12/14 kits in only 3 finishes. Red Sparkle, Black Oyster, and Black Oyster Sparkle. Bass drum is virgin shells are mahogany/maple and sound fantastic (I bought one in Black Oyster Sparkle) price point was 1100. DW still makes the Classic Series albeit with in house made shells now. Drums are called Pacific American Vintage and well worth checking out if you can find one.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
That's funny I just posted the same question 2 days ago on the Sonor forum!

For the same dough there are currently still deals to be had on Sonor 3007 shell packs (five and six piece kits with more toms on top as well as a snare). Also the 3007s come with the TAR mounts (the Session & Arena don't have the TAR mounts).

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We never got a review of the Sonor Sessions from J.Hurlston. How 'bout it?

The 3007's are the better deal - more drums for your money at least - but the Sessions speccifically say "North American Maple". Are the 3007's NA Maple?

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

The 3007's are the better deal - more drums for your money at least - but the Sessions speccifically say "North American Maple". Are the 3007's NA Maple?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score

The 3007s from 2009 were NA Maple in and out around a couple Japanese maple plies in the middle.

I was really surprised to see the Sessions had this mounting style...