Sonor SQ1 - Hot Rod Red discontinued?

shnootre

Reaction score
I've noticed that Sonor's SQ1 set in hot rod red has disappeared from Sweetwater and now Amazon. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that it is discontinued?

And... as an owner of a 20" hot rod red SQ1 set, I'm wondering what this might mean for me. I've been patiently waiting to snap up a used 10" or 16" in hot rod red; I've seen unbelievable deals on eBay for those drums in the blue and black finishes, and foolishly passed up on a 10" demo at Sweetwater a couple of years ago for $200 off the new price.

If it's discontinued - does that mean my chance of ever getting those drums diminishes drastically? (forgive me if this is a duh question...)

As a secondary concern, what does it do to the value of my kit? This is actually very secondary, as I see these sets generally sell used for a ridiculous mark-down. I have no plan to sell any time soon!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sonor will allow special orders on discontinued finishes for a few years after the finish is discontinued . I have been told this by two dealers and Sonor Canada

shnootre

Reaction score
I can only imagine what those special orders might cost tho! Put another way, if the color is discontinued, it is probably safe to say my chances of ever scoring a great deal on one of those drums is now gone, and if I hope to get one at even the normal new price, I’d better act soon. Is that right?

drumminstewie

Reaction score
There is 13” hot rod red tom on Reverb for $379, but 12 13 14 seems a little close together in sizes. I picked up a hot rod red SQ1 in 22, 12, 16 for $999 at my local Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago. It seems stores are blowing them out, so maybe something will show up if you keep your eyes open.

shnootre

Reaction score
Yeah - that $379 is from Cymbal Fusion, who I see also reduced the 10” to the same price, but are now sold out. Man - $999 for that kit is a super steal! I will keep my eyes open!

lemonslush

Reaction score
There is 13” hot rod red tom on Reverb for $379, but 12 13 14 seems a little close together in sizes. I picked up a hot rod red SQ1 in 22, 12, 16 for $999 at my local Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago. It seems stores are blowing them out, so maybe something will show up if you keep your eyes open.
WHAT thats an insane price! on discount they are 1899 at drumcenter of portsmith. Thats about a grand off normal pricing. Love those in store GC deals. Almost makes me want to go on a road trip around to see whats the best price on gear. I would buy that kit in a second for 999$! nice score. Did they have any others?

drumminstewie

Reaction score
WHAT thats an insane price! on discount they are 1899 at drumcenter of portsmith. Thats about a grand off normal pricing. Love those in store GC deals. Almost makes me want to go on a road trip around to see whats the best price on gear. I would buy that kit in a second for 999$! nice score. Did they have any others?
I certainly wasn’t going to pass up that deal! They had just the one kit. It had been there for quite a while. I recently have been wanting to get my hands on some high end Sonor drums and I remembered this kit, so I thought I would call GC and see if they still had it. I figured COVID may have affected prices. I actually inquired about the snare first, which they no longer had, but the employee who answered the phone said “Are you asking about the 3 piece kit for $999?” And I said, “Yes!” Bought it the next day.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. $999 for those. That’s insane.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see some pics of this hot rod red. Sounds like a very cool color...

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sonor and Tama are two companies that make some odd finish choices . Regarding the SQ1 the GT black and Cruiser Blue finishes were by far the most popular . I have only seen one Red Kit in person and no green kits in my drum shop travels .

freeflydawn

Reaction score
Sonor and Tama are two companies that make some odd finish choices . Regarding the SQ1 the GT black and Cruiser Blue finishes were by far the most popular . I have only seen one Red Kit in person and no green kits in my drum shop travels .
I have the green one which was by far my favorite of the 4 but I never ran into any of these kits in shops or even seen any listed locally on buy/sell pages.

shnootre

Reaction score
I have the red, and I was torn between that and the green. Such beautiful finishes I am surprised they didn’t sell. Wonder if a new color will be introduced. Still dreaming of that 10x7, which is nowhere now.

jsp210

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the red, and I was torn between that and the green. Such beautiful finishes I am surprised they didn’t sell. Wonder if a new color will be introduced. Still dreaming of that 10x7, which is nowhere now.
Wow, that is too bad about the red being discontinued and hard to come by for your add-ons. Good luck with the search.

You are right about the deals to be had on the black finish, I have snatched up all the rest of the tom sizes (all but 18" previously-owned) for the kit I bought at the beginning of the year. Nutty I know, but really enjoying all the options. While people madly bought up all the toilet paper in stores I hunted down my GT Black toms with a vengeance ;)

Last edited:

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There seems to be blowout prices on these everywhere. Essentially a SQ2 quality birch kit with no options other than the 3 finishes. I prefer gloss to matte finishes which is one of the reasons I did not pull the trigger on one of these. The pro-lite line (essentially an SQ2 with a vintage maple shell layup) had a hi-gloss red finish but they discontinued it. Not sure why they don't offer a hi-gloss Tornado Red like Steve Smith played in those lines. It is such an iconic color. I have also been keeping my eye out for an Ascent kit -- I am kicking myself HARD for not hopping on one of those when they were discontinued and being blown out a few years ago. That was a seriously underrated line with beech shells. They rarely pop up on the secondary market. I love the company and their drums, but they shift lines and finishes as often as some of the Japanese companies.

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

bpaluzzi

Reaction score