Sonor SQ1 vs Sonor Vintage Series

A Stick

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Drummers;

What are you views regarding the Sonor SQ1 and Sonor Vintage series? I am thinking of trading my SQ1 kit for a Vintage series one. I like the sound of both but I just love the Vintage series finish.

Cheers;
Adrian

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
my kinda shoo tout
lemme get all the series in order on my gamecard
got it. S means Best 2 means best
SQ1 is Birch european Birch
ready.

Last edited:

A Stick

Reaction score
Hi Bellbrass; It's a lovely kit (24, 18, 16, 13 with 6.5 x 14 snare). It has the cruiser blue finish. Since I have seen the Vintage Series in California Blue, it's been on my mind quite a lot. I just love the finish. I am looking at getting the Vintage Series (22, 18, 16, 13 and 12, no snare). I have tap on Vintage series and quite like the sound of them to. Cheers Adrian

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian I am not going to be a huge help as I think both kits are excellent . I am a huge fan of the Sonor vintage series drums and would still have mine if the opportunity to get a N&C CD Maples kit in my exact sizes and finishes did not happen . IMHO the Sonor Vintage series kits are the best sounding kits Sonor makes .
I personally think the SQ1 kits are the best birch shell kits I have ever played or heard ( yes I have owned two Yamaha Recording Custom kits ).

If push came to shove , I would get the Sonor Vintage series kit .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the satin Gold and the satin Copper in SQ1. Vintage Silver or the Rosewood in the vintage. So it's a "color" issue.. (between those two blues- I'm out)

Last edited:

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to get an unbelievable deal on a Sonor Vintage Red Oyster set and it is great. I really liked the Cali Blue, but for the deal I got I am very happy as I love the red too. Not a fan of birch or satin finished drums, but that is my own taste. The SV bass drum is a winner for me and I am never happy with birch bass drums.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The SQ1 and Vintage have very different sounds, to my ears. The SQ1 do the "Recording Custom" sound very well. I don't think of it as a particularly "Sonor" sound, but it's still a very good sound. The Vintage are the closest thing possible to Teardrops with modern hardware benefits. Big fan.

(IMHO all the way around, standard disclaimers apply) :)

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The SQ1 and Vintage have very different sounds, to my ears. The SQ1 do the "Recording Custom" sound very well. I don't think of it as a particularly "Sonor" sound, but it's still a very good sound. The Vintage are the closest thing possible to Teardrops with modern hardware benefits. Big fan.

(IMHO all the way around, standard disclaimers apply) :)
Well put

Not the first time Sonor under KHS or HHS followed the market away from the Sonor sound. In the late 80s Sonor began using maple; a wood not common in the EU because that’s what the market wanted rather then local materials like birch or beech.

Let’s import the maple from North America, then let’s build it in Germany with high labor costs, then let’s ship and export (tax plus customs) it back to the US to compete with all the other manufacturers in their game all while moving away from the companies foundation that defines the Sonor sound. Buz King called the use of maple the beginning of the end of the Classic Link era.

Nothing says Sonor like beech, for over 100 years if it was wood it was beech. Yet in 94 with the release of the Designer Series, they did not make a beech kit. You could not get a beech kit in any series. Talk about losing your way in the 90s.

Sonor has done a better job of reclaiming its soul this century featuring beech and birch in the new lines like SQ1 and Vintage.

Last edited:

freeflydawn

Reaction score
I have both and I guess if I had to choose I would choose the vintage series over the SQ1 but based on sound. Recently I picked up a set of barton essential beech as I was very curious about them and I have to say that I have become quite a fan of beech. I sort of wonder why it's not a more popular wood used my more manufacturers.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After unpacking a brand new set of Vintage series kit for a Benny Greb clinic I’d say these drums are as high end as high end gets. Stunning workmanship and they sound phenomenal.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My next kit (after I CHILL out on the set buying) will be most likely a Vintage Series. If you really want to amazed by them check out any Wim de Vries or Rene Creemers videos.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe this finish was just introduced this year . Sonor is very backlogged due to the Pandemic , so I am sure we will start seeing these soon . I really like the silver sparkle - it might be my favourite of the Vintage line

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(note his 12 didn't have the staggered lug (??
why.
what up with that @Frank Godiva

Did it go "staggered" at a certain year
what's the history

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
(note his 12 didn't have the staggered lug (??
why.
what up with that @Frank Godiva

Did it go "staggered" at a certain year
what's the history

In the 50s, the Teardrops had the shark tooth lugs that are much fatter and not staggered. Great catch on the 12; the New Beat K170 Chicago was 12 16 22. The more traditional and longer teardrop lug showed up in the early 60s on the toms, but was staggered on the snares cause Sonor only had one single lug at the time. The Teardrop double snare lug came around 64-65.

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.31.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.31.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.38.17 PM.png