Sonor SQ1 vs Sonor Vintage Series

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Ok so Teardrops and Sharktooth are two different "things"/Eras... Sharktooth being the Older)/

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I know SQ1 are more like Recording Custom, I'm interested in them, but it might be sideways move with my Eames and 80's Superstar kits.

The Vintage series didn't wow me until I found one or two great sounding videos on YT with Steve Smith playing them. Very different from the Phonic yet related enough to sound like the same family. Exceptional sounding drums.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now that I know SQ1 are more like Recording Custom, I'm interested in them, but it might be sideways move with my Eames and 80's Superstar kits.

The Vintage series didn't wow me until I found one or two great sounding videos on YT with Steve Smith playing them. Very different from the Phonic yet related enough to sound like the same family. Exceptional sounding drums.
It’s the shell thickness. Teardrops sound nothing like Phonics and the Vintage is much more Teardrop.

Have heard it said that Teardrops shells sing while Phonics / Signature / thick beech crys for help. Phonics are more then twice as heavy as the Vintage between the shell and the heavy Tom mount. Little to no vibration in Phonics

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s the shell thickness. Teardrops sound nothing like Phonics and the Vintage of s much more Teardrop.

Have heard it said that Teardrops shells sing while Phonics / Signature / thick beech crys for help. Phonics are more then twice as heavy as the Vintage between the shell and the heavy Tom mount. Little to no vibration in Phonics
I don't know about that. I can get my Phonics to sing but I've never seen anyone mount the tomss the way I do.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you can find an Ascent kit, you get the Sonor sound with the KHS quality at a lower price point...I love mine.

F

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s the shell thickness. Teardrops sound nothing like Phonics and the Vintage of s much more Teardrop.

Exactly...

There is a guy on this forum going on about his canopus set blows away his old Phonic kit for bop...

DUH!!! .. Phonic's are not bop drums.. . although they can accommodate...

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How do the Sonor S-Classix sound compared to the SQ1's?
I've seen plnety of Phonics played for jazz.

me too, Charli Antloini caravan comes to mind. Phonics can do jazz. They are just not ideal as near field drums; they are meant to project out to the audience.

Shelly Manne was a brief endorser but in the end dropped Sonor cause he said they were just too heavy.

9D5B36B3-3210-425D-88DC-363BA609EC39.jpeg
5A3A4561-6B18-4BB3-A7BC-EED31EC491B5.jpeg

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen plnety of Phonics played for jazz.
I hear you and that is why I mentioned they can accommodate....

However... I have never heard them just blow me away in a jazz setting...

You know of any impressive vids??