Sonor SQ2 - Birch, Beech, or Maple?

peter

Reaction score
I know there have been threads on this before, but I wanted to get opinions particularly from those with first-hand experience: What you would go with on my shells, and why? My shell thicknesses are undecided but narrowed down to thin & medium, in the following sizes:

20" x 15" Bass Drum
15" x 13" Floor Tom (w. legs)
12"x7" & 10"x7" Toms

Maple is conspicuously more $ than Birch and Beech, although I'm confident Sonor can make great sounding drums using all three woods. The question is, what's your preferred wood and shell thickness? (edited)which wood is most optimal for these sizes in the Vintage shell?

Not to skew the results, but I'm thinking that the emphasized warmth and body of maple might best help compensate (and therefore compliment) the relatively shallow depths on each drum. On the other hand, beech is a Sonor-exclusive offering as far as I know, so I'm inclined to go with that simply for that reason.

Let me know your thoughts... Thanks!

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
a) Beech
b) birch
do I get to pick the color?
(birch because of DeJohnette SonorLites
Beech because of the late 70s Phonic)

Frankly (no pun) their series their catalog description (may make me look at another series) and is difficult- more difficult- than it once was.
You have to be indebted somewhat to them to even understand the catalog ; Already you're invested (lol).

I'm trying to see what "vintage" you mentioned means..and I'm 15 minutes in still looking...
2 vintage 3- mediums - 3 heavies if you don't want acrylic. Ok.

See Ya!"
around 1987 Sonor lost me
they lost me along with the Phonic lug
I tried to want a designer then it was over
sorry to be a bother

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
No firsthand experience here, but since when did that stop internet participation?

Beech, because Sonor. It's what they do. And what nobody else does. It's what founded the House that Horst built. And the Phonics (in glorious rosewood beechiness) were their crowning achievement.

A lot of this is opinion pushed as fact of course, but again, internet.

A poll would be fun.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of beech shell Sonor kits . I love the Vintage Series kit I own . It is a medium beech shell with full roundover
edges. Beech has a full spectrum sound , very balanced and full sounding with excellent clarity and articulation .

peter

Reaction score
No firsthand experience here, but since when did that stop internet participation?

Beech, because Sonor. It's what they do. And what nobody else does. It's what founded the House that Horst built. And the Phonics (made of ahem, beech) were their crowning achievement.

A lot of this is opinion pushed as fact of course, but again, internet.

A poll would be fun.
Thanks - I appreciate ALL input on this!

peter

Reaction score
It is so hard to think Sonor and not Beech at the same sentence for me but I know how great all SQ2s are.
Thanks Murat, appreciate the feedback. Maybe, just maybe I'll take a drive up there and place the order with you. ;)

peter

Reaction score
a) Beech
b) birch
do I get to pick the color?
(birch because of DeJohnette SonorLites
Beech because of the late 70s Phonic)

Frankly (no pun) their series their catalog description (may make me look at another series) and is difficult- more difficult- than it once was.
You have to be indebted somewhat to them to even understand the catalog ; Already you're invested (lol).

I'm trying to see what "vintage" you mentioned means..and I'm 15 minutes in still looking...
2 vintage 3- mediums - 3 heavies if you don't want acrylic. Ok.

See Ya!"
Sure, what color would you like? :p

I've actually been having a lot (maybe a bit too much) fun with the configurator.

Currently, Sonor offers four shell preparations:
  • Heavy
  • Medium
  • Thin (except on bass drums - they don't go any thinner than Medium on bass drums)
  • Vintage (similar to Thin, above, but with 2-ply reinforcement rings)
**EDIT: See Frank Godiva's post #24 below for full chart of SQ2 shell construction.**

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks Murat, appreciate the feedback. Maybe, just maybe I'll take a drive up there and place the order with you. ;)
It would be my pleasure to get you a nice deal :) You don't even have to drive up but that would be an awesome bonus !

As Rick was mentioning above, Medium Beech seems to check all the boxes. My last two sales were medium beech, one with Scandinavian Birch finish , the other African Marble. But I have no doubt the Vintage will sing just like the other options. I don't believe there is a wrong choice there and that puts you in a fun situation to be in :)

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Medium Beech. Maybe with a heavy maple bass drum. This is my third time around with SQ2s, so I’m speaking from experience. If you’re partial to birch then go for an SQ1. If you like maple then get a Sonorlite. SQ2 = Beech.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
B̶u̶y̶ Inquire about what Murat has on the floor and ask N̶o̶ very few questions :angel5:

OK just read thru the 108-page catalog I got all the series down pat.
wait is there an AQ1 [and{ an AQ2? brb...
page 78 I think...
got it..

Last edited:

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
SQ1 toms are between the medium and heavy.. at 7mm.. but the kick is 10mm.. actually thicker than the sq2 heavy shell. and most people seem to really love these drums.
Thanks, that’s good to know. I came really close to buying a set of SQ1s but then I got a sweet deal on a Vintage series kit and already have an SQ2 in medium beech, so didn’t really need a third kit. I’m actually wondering if there’s a huge difference in sound between the SQ1 and, say, a heavy beech SQ2.