Sonor SQ2 - Birch, Beech, or Maple?

peter

Reaction score
And like the post above someone questions / gives advice on lay up . When in my opinion how can they really know what another another fella needs ??

Just make a kit put it in the store and I’ll buy it …I’ll not second guess whether I should had that inner ply scandi birch or Australian maple …..
I hear you, but like I said, sizing is almost everything to me and the only way to get what I want is by custom order unfortunately. If I could find a Sonor kit in a local store with a 15" floor tom and 7" deep rack toms (and 20" bass drum), I'd be happy to just buy that and not bother about what type of wood and how thick.

I just thought I'd dredge the opinions of others who have gone through the same process while I'm at it, hoping that this helps others who are wondering the same things.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this SQ1 a 20" or 22"..

peter

Reaction score
Hmmm title says 20", but description says 22"x16"...

Would have to ask @Murat

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d lose sleep ordering a Sonor kit …..

“Oh man , I sure hope I got it right ……”

peter

Reaction score
Peter , always go with white sparkle over a solid white . The sparkle is very understated but really pops under the lights .
LOVE the white sparkle, but this just looks so... clean!

Last edited:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

it's just the photo they did.. regular white will look boring/common most places IMO.. resale maybe not as easy

white sparkle looks incredible with just a little light shining on it. .. and black interiors for sure. the regular grain sort of generic.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
think it's Outstanding...Maybe too much outstanding- all audience eyes would be on it..
regular white will look boring/common most places IMO
(tell that to the Bride) (dare ya! lol ; )

$4200 is a lot of gigs (payback) unless it's going to be House furniture ( so compare to Fridge, Couch, Dining Room table...

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It sounds like you have actually played thin birch then? Generally birch seems to be recommended in heavy shell, but I was wondering what thin birch would sound like.

Curious, why would you go with thin beech, over medium maple?
They project better live. Maples are fantastic to record with tho.

f

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They project better live. Maples are fantastic to record with tho.

f
Just as an aside, theYamaha Recording Custom was/is the standard for recording studios. AFAIK they used and still use thin birch shells. I also remember a few pro drummers using them live. The Sonor SQ1s, which to some extent seem to be direct competition, are much thicker.

peter

Reaction score
Thin beech, sounds pretty good to me (and seem to have plenty of cut):

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside, theYamaha Recording Custom was/is the standard for recording studios. AFAIK they used and still use thin birch shells. I also remember a few pro drummers using them live. The Sonor SQ1s, which to some extent seem to be direct competition, are much thicker.

RC's are medium.. 6mm.. so just a mm from the SQ1 at 7mm

kick on the SQ1 is much thicker at 10mm.. .. thicker than even the SQ2 heavy option. .... but all i hear about that SQ1 kick are mostly raves.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
RC's are medium.. 6mm.. so just a mm from the SQ1 at 7mm

kick on the SQ1 is much thicker at 10mm.. .. thicker than even the SQ2 heavy option. .... but all i hear about that SQ1 kick are mostly raves.
Thanks for the clarification!

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s an amazing kit and a great deal! You could just go for that and be done with it.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

That may have been true at one point in time regarding the Yamaha RC drums but Gretsch USA Custom and Vintage kits seem to be the flavour of the month with Producers these days .

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or this one