Sonor teardrop COB snares?

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never played a BB, but I do own a Drop COB D424. Sounds much like my Slingerland COB Krupa Sound King. The 424 has standard wires while the 426 King of Snares model has a parallel throw that takes wires that have not been made in decades so it requires modifications but it was the top of the line.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I have never played a BB, but I do own a Drop COB D424. Sounds much like my Slingerland COB Krupa Sound King. The 424 has standard wires while the 426 King of Snares model has a parallel throw that takes wires that have not been made in decades so it requires modifications but it was the top of the line.
If I just bought a shell, how difficult would it be to secure the appropriate strainer and butt plate? Looks like the lugs and rods would be pretty easy to come by but the snare hardware is a little harder to come by.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any good quality COB should be real close in sound profile to each other. I have 4 including an SCP and Rudd Sig. They all sound real close but the Krupa Sig is my reference with the dreaded Zoomatic sounds the best to me. The Sound Kings are around and the D424 should be avoided cause it's just a pain in the butt plate.

Reactions: JDA

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
If it's just a shell, be aware that those were undersized and in order to align vertically you'll need the Sonor hoops which are not easy to come by . And of course the standoff height of the lugs has to be specific, in other words you'll need the Sonor lugs . I went through this myself with a vintage Sonor shell and there was much rending of hair and gnashing of teeth . I traded it, and a whole bunch of Sonor odds and ends to DFO'er ' Trixonian ' some years ago .

OK , on the positive side those are real fatt sounding drums no matter how tightley you tension them . Also mine was 4 3/4 " deep, kinda interesting .

Latest posts