Sonor Teardrop rarity: air tune system

Germandrummer

Reaction score

This is one early 1970s rarity: an air-tunable teardrop kit!

The air tune-system was established by Sonor in 1969, according to an old brochure about a drummer meeting in Aue. You can find it on google, I don`t want to post it here.
Basically it seemed to be bellows connected with a rubber hose to the shells which had some special openings for that reason. The somewhat odd system was short-lived I guess
and I never saw one of that kits before this ebay advertisement.

Is more information available somewhere? I`m curious..

Germandrummer

Reaction score

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pre-internet days: I invented, and had working, a product that I called the Batter Bladder that was basically a balloon that you could control the volume of while it was inside your snare drum. It would keep the heads from ringing and had a cool solid snare sound. I thought up all kinds of attention grabbing advertising slogans...like "Get yourself a better Batter Bladder!" Apparently it probably wouldn't sell well.

Tanabata

Reaction score
The surgical tubing thing works great, been around for a long while; Barry Altschul showed me, and there's a certified bad motor scooter in South Florida named Danny Burger who does great things with it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a Yamaha FT with a hose in which you blew to change the pitch/tone?
Very odd....but I do prefer the foot pedal vs. huffing & puffing......

I'd love to hear the sound this drum makes.......

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Here it is...not yet cleaned. Sorry as well for the livingdrumroom mess, but I`m building a new kitchen.

Lovely drums! The bassdrum is like whoaaaaammmmm. Floortom as well. Just some difficulties getting a nice sound out of the 13" tom which refuses to get rid of some nasty overtones.

15975880114411.jpg
15975880113850.jpg