Sonor teardrops. early 70's

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
The absolute best Sonor teardrop drums were the very last ones made in the early 70's. Sonor solved the problem of the ultra thin 3 ply shells and went to a 6 ply Gretsch-type shell, and they also beefed up the mounts and hardware.

I bought a 12/13/16/20 rosewood set in the early 70's. The snare was a chrome 5 X 14. I used them on the road, and also in town when I was home, for quite a few years, and they never failed. They also sounded better than any other drums, IMO. Extremely wide tuning range, great tonality and attack.

I sold them in the 1980's, because I was unfortunately in financial straits, and I've missed them ever since.

Now that I'm older, I would love to find a set of late period teardrops, just to come full circle. Nothing on Ebay right now. I would love an 18/12/14 set! Probably impossible. I could live with a 20" bass drum if necessary.

Anybody knows of anything worthwhile, give me a holler.

Now, you guys with beautiful teardrop sets are going to post pics. Go ahead and make me jealous!

andlours

Reaction score
index.php?/topic/151205-multiple-drum-setssnares-for-sale/#entry1666792

He's selling a nice looking set. A little bit bigger sizes than you're looking for, but definitely the correct era.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Rondrums51, you are very luck because, I'll resist from torturing you today with any pictures of my beautiful April 1969
6-ply rosewood 18/12/14 Teardrop kit with matching 1969 6-ply 14x5 rosewood snare drum.

IHMO, I have some really nice vintage jazz kit but one thing for sure you are absolutely correct my friend "they" my Sonor's are the best sounding jazz drums, I have ever heard hands down. Wow!

Oh, I wish you much luck finding your dream Sonor kit because my Sonor's are going with me to my grave.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
andlours said:
index.php?/topic/151205-multiple-drum-setssnares-for-sale/#entry1666792

He's selling a nice looking set. A little bit bigger sizes than you're looking for, but definitely the correct era.
That link doesn't work. Can you try again?

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Rondrums51, you are very luck because, I'll resist from torturing you today with any pictures of my beautiful April 1969
6-ply rosewood 18/12/14 Teardrop kit with matching 1969 6-ply 14x5 rosewood snare drum.

IHMO, I have some really nice vintage jazz kit but one thing for sure you are absolutely correct my friend "they" my Sonor's are the best sounding jazz drums, I have ever heard hands down. Wow!

Oh, I wish you much luck finding your dream Sonor kit because my Sonor's are going with me to my grave.
Yes, but do you have the black plastic covered drum key? :happy11:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Sonor Champion kit - the one with the plastic lugs and six ply beech shells, 20 ,12 , 13 , 16 . One of the reasons it sang so beautifully is that the shells on mine were undersized and just the head made contact with the edge, that's how big the gap was .

LA Camcos, same thing .

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
LFBarfe said:
After he moved to Germany, the great British jazz and session player Ronnie Stephenson began using Sonor, and kept his teardrop set for most of the 1970s.
Great pic, great drummer.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently missed out on a set of rosewood teardrops. I think they were three ply though.

I absolutely love my early sonor champion 24/13/16 kit. Solid hardware all around. Undersized shells that just sing. Such underrated drums. Everyone loves the teardrops and phonics but I've found that champions don't get much love.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Champions are my favorites right now too. The teardrop 6 ply shells but with seamless hoops, and lugs that are a little easier to use from my experience. Personally, I really dig the boxy Champion lug look.

But I do want to set of teardrops at some point, as well. They're the drums that got me into the 6 ply sonor sound. for me, they tie neck and neck with my 40s Radio Kings for favorite tone, but they're usable on more gigs and way more versatile.

I think they're super undervalued on the vintage market, even this pricier bop kits and sets in natural finishes like beech and rosewood. I think I got a pretty good deal on my set, but I couldn't touch a similar condition RB bop kit for 5 times the price, and if course, matter of taste, but I think these Sonors smoke any equivalent G.

Jay_M

Reaction score
My favorite drum sets by far. I have a 20/13/13/16 in Blue Onyx. 6-ply 1969-71 set. They tune to any range and IMO they had the best hardware of the era besides Rogers. I'm actually looking for another set for gigs with 20/12/16. I had one in maroon marble color years ago with that smaller ride tom and sold it for cheap. Major regret. A 20/12/16 in emerald green is the dream set at the moment.

dingaling

Reaction score
I have 2 teardrop 6 ply drum kits. Was about to sell one but decided I needed them both. ;) 12, 13, 16, 20 wrap and dumb luck lucky to have ended up with a bop 12, 14, 18 rosewood.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Emerald Multi Brilliant seems to be the most common satin flame to show up in the US
That's a transition 3 ply from 65 most likely
The original 3 plys had a side tom mount, yours is on the center position which is where it went for 6 ply starting in 65
I have one in the same finish, 3 ply center post 20 and the toms are 6 ply

Attachments

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3 ply shells are quite amazing. Some players felt the flexibility [give] in the shells made them fragile, and while any thinner shell is "more fragile", its still a solid drum with a beautiful mellow tone. Extra care is required when transporting, but any Sonor player knows very well what a special instrument they own, and will cherish them.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I have a 6 ply rosewood kit in VG cond. 13,16,20 and a chrome SD. Love the drums. If I were to sell them, they would have to bring top dollar.

Latest posts