Sonor teardrops

flatwins

Reaction score
This kit started as a $200 Craigslist find only it really wasn’t THIS kit. Guy had an ad for an old Sonor and the photos showed some other stuff including a Slingerland snare from the 70s plus a Zildjian or 3. I hauled it all home to assess my treasure. The shells had been stripped of wrap and the lugs reinstalled. Reso heads, front bass claws, hoop all missing (of course) but fortunately someone with half a brain cell installed the reso hoops even though the heads were gone.
Fast forward a couple months and someone on eBay had a set of stripped shells (12/13/16/20) in the ruby pearl wrap for super cheap. Figuring I already had 95% of the hardware I went for them. The shells had been painted black inside and I considered trying to remove the paint but opted to just not use any clear heads. As I had other drum projects going, these sat for a few years until last spring when a guy popped up with an original, matching bass in 24”. These are not common whatsoever so I knew I had to have it. Finally got the whole mess together and honestly I had never even played a teardrop until finished this one. That 24” bass killz and this kit will be getting gigged in a couple of weeks.
D52E74B1-6B49-4D71-AECF-B37073AC7602.jpeg

flatwins

Reaction score
Hardcore teardrop fans will notice the spacers between the leg brackets and shell on the floor tom are missing as well as the rubber ball floor tom feet. It took forever but I finally found those spacer brackets and they will be installed this weekend. Also have the rubber feet.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great story. You never know what the hunt will turn up. I have the identical set with a 22 bd, also not that common. First 24 in that wrap I have seen.

flatwins

Reaction score
Great story. You never know what the hunt will turn up. I have the identical set with a 22 bd, also not that common. First 24 in that wrap I have seen.
I’ve seen very few teardrop basses in 22. Sonor must have really liked their mold for the 20s since they made a ton of them. I’ve seen a single teardrop bass in 26.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Fantastic kit. From the looks of it, I'd guess the 24 is 6-ply? Regardless, the BD is indeed a rare bird.

flatwins

Reaction score
Fantastic kit. From the looks of it, I'd guess the 24 is 6-ply? Regardless, the BD is indeed a rare bird.
You know, that’s a good point. I honestly didn’t pay much attention at the time since I was so surprised to find it. It has reinforcement rings so I’m assuming it’s a 3 ply. Here’s some interior shots. 1AAC08A2-4E87-4537-AA56-053A3E3A75BB.jpeg
92BA604A-DE1E-459C-9DF2-5909E6D3DA28.jpeg