Sonor vintage 60's kit....a first for me

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just picked up a nice vintage Sonor kit, no major issues, missing a few stand tips and hh stand part, but drums seem really nice. I will clean and play them, and then sell (cant keep em all :/ ) I dont see any much of these in completed on the bay. What is a fair price for these? I see these have been reissued as new kits, kinda pricey. Are the shells the same on vintage and new? Birch plys, right? ANy other info most welcome.

...some "after" pics

Attachments

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the snare, the kit might sell for $1000 to 1200, depending how it cleans up. A little hard to say, because prices jump around.

The VIntage Series is a reproduction, but obviously not the same thing. The Vintage Series is meant to recreate as closely as possible the teardrop experience. Plies on Vintage and on teardrops are both beech.

Your teardrops are probably 6 ply and approximately 6mm shells. The Vintage Series is the same. Earlier drops were 3mm thick with re-rings.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
chikncity said:
Metric head sizes?
:icon_e_surprised: I hadnt thought of that (didnt know Sonors did, a bit familiar with the Premier metrics)...these appear to be (likely) the original heads all around, and all are marked Sonor with logo as well as Evans All Weather (except bottom snare, but appears the same). Did Evans make metric heads for imports?

psalty, et al, these do not have re-rings.

I unfortunatly didnt get a key, and dont have one. I'll ring me up a new one I guess, at least they are available. I am very tempted to use an appropriate tool on the slotted rods, most of the heads are loose anyhow, but really dont want to damage the rods in any way.

Another question: there are 6 carrige bolts in unused holes on the top of the bass drum. Are these factory? I wouldnt think that, in this seemingly unmolested condition, that these would have been drilled after purchase.

Attachments

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
....I think I answered my question....noticed the spurs (same as cymbal mount) have an extended backing plate inside the drum for the mounts, so are kinda reinforced on the shell, what a great idea!

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sweet drums. Not metric...will sound awesome. Just finished mine. Thin 3ply beech!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
atomicdave said:
Metric head sizes?
:icon_e_surprised: I hadnt thought of that (didnt know Sonors did, a bit familiar with the Premier metrics)...these appear to be (likely) the original heads all around, and all are marked Sonor with logo as well as Evans All Weather (except bottom snare, but appears the same). Did Evans make metric heads for imports?

psalty, et al, these do not have re-rings.

I unfortunatly didnt get a key, and dont have one. I'll ring me up a new one I guess, at least they are available. I am very tempted to use an appropriate tool on the slotted rods, most of the heads are loose anyhow, but really dont want to damage the rods in any way.

Another question: there are 6 carrige bolts in unused holes on the top of the bass drum. Are these factory? I wouldnt think that, in this seemingly unmolested condition, that these would have been drilled after purchase.
The carriage bolts are part of the braces inside the shell to stabilize the holders.

I don't the new Sonor slotted keys will fit the narrow slots in those tuners. You may have to find one of the old black plastic coated keys...maybe on Ebay? Of just very carefully use a coin or a screwdriver.

The shells are beech, not birch.

Great drums!

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a friend that had a kit,played them many times,great drums very Gretschy sounding I thought.As far as value,I would say top dollar for that kit,incomplete kits are expensive on parts in the U.S… I would guess at around 8 hundred to a thouz
Thousand

Geostorm98

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice drums...looking forward to 'after' pics.

kluger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny you posted this, I just pulled out my teardrops and set them up today. Great sounding drums, one of my favorite kits. I have a New Old Stock Sonor L shaped drum key if you would like . It is square on one side, slotted on other. $12 shipped . Send me a pm if interested.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
kluger said:
Funny you posted this, I just pulled out my teardrops and set them up today. Great sounding drums, one of my favorite kits. I have a New Old Stock Sonor L shaped drum key if you would like . It is square on one side, slotted on other. $12 shipped . Send me a pm if interested.
Check it out. Newer Sonor keys won't fit the narrower slots on vintage Sonors. They changed it up sometime in the late 70's, I think.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Those are early to mid-60's teardrops because they have wood bass hoops, and the bass drum bracket for the tom holder does not have removable mounting bolts. Instead, the bolts are soldered to the mounting plate. They would eventually separate because of the stress, so Sonor drilled them for regular mounting bolts circa 1970 or thereabouts. The stands are also early to mid 60's.

Sonor changed to metal bass hoops in the early 70's.

I know all this stuff because I was a Sonor freakaholic back at that time. I copped a new rosewood kit from Faust Music in MIlwaukee when I was on the road in the early 70's. I used those drums for a good 10 years, and they held up beautifully. The chrome plating was amazingly good. The shells were the same from the mid 60's through the very early 70's: 6 ply beech, cross laminated, similar to Gretsch. What a sound they had. And the rims on the drums were killer. Beat rims ever made, IMO.

Your tuners will only take the old black plastic covered drum key. I can't find a pic of one. The newer Sonor keys have a thicker metal blade, and they won't work. You can use a coin or a screwdriver. But it would be cool to have the right key. Maybe some Euro guys have some for sale?

The wrap on your kit looks amazing. You're going to have fun with those.

Now I'm hating myself for ever selling those Sonors. But I was young and stupid......... :occasion5:

W

wayne

Confirmed, the new keys will NOT work..Kluger has the right answer, those keys are magical, and they fit perfectly. I go no where without one of those in my car...12 bucks is a BARGAIN!!

In all my years of playing and owning well over 125 kits in 40 years, Sonor is the ONLY kit that will never be sold or traded. Its my sound for sure!

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The key: rondrums is right, only the old key will work easily. But there is a solution. Got to STDrums and on the left side of the page, click on Tricks and Tipps. Then scroll down till you see "Sonor Tricks" and just below that, a picture of a Sonor key. Click on that, and and there's a photo article about how to turn a cheap Sonor key into one that works on teardrops.

rondrums, I have to show you my kit. There's also a 12, but I don't like two racks up top.

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modding the single use modern keys is simple fix. Not so easy on the dual slotted/square head keys. Did this to a couple myself.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
psalty said:
The key: rondrums is right, only the old key will work easily. But there is a solution. Got to STDrums and on the left side of the page, click on Tricks and Tipps. Then scroll down till you see "Sonor Tricks" and just below that, a picture of a Sonor key. Click on that, and and there's a photo article about how to turn a cheap Sonor key into one that works on teardrops.

rondrums, I have to show you my kit. There's also a 12, but I don't like two racks up top.

Nice. Those are about the same year as mine, circa 1971, I think.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
" Made in West Germany " is what I look for on the badge . Those seem to have that thing.

Undersized shells and very thin shells plus those unusually flanged hoops and the narrow cast lugs add up to amazing resonance and huge bottom end that speaks clearly across a very wide tensioning range .

Hardware is german steel at its best .

Spurs more or less centered on the bass drum shell let both sides vibrate freely . Killer bass drum - passes the 20" Rogers for lower frequencies .

Geez, I wish I'd kept mine , they're getting scarcer all the time .