Sonor vintage 60's kit....a first for me

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
The Holy Grail of teardrops is an 18" bass drum. I've never seen one in person, but I saw a picture of Ray Mosca with one. They do exist, but they're super rare.
I've seen a few of them, and when they sell, grab your wallet. Those and 14" floors.

I haven't seen one in person, let alone played one, but I'd love to. Thing is, though, the 20 works so well! Not sure I'd prefer the 18.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
psalty said:
The pedal on that set is killer. I loved those pedals and played them for years.

Never had one of those, Ron. They look nice. Sort of period German turntable styling.
They had compression springs like a Ludwig pedal. But the action was nothing like a Ludwig. Really fast and easy to play.

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always get the sense that German hardware was designed by people who really care about how things work, and who have a gift for designing intricate and clever mechanical devices. Everyone else seemed willing to settle on solutions that were good in conception but lacking in follow through.

Even the gigantic Signature pedal was a marvel of design. Whether one likes it or not - and I haven't used mine in years - it did carry through in its intended purpose. It is remarkable that it works as well as it does, given the weight of the reciprocating mass.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
The internal muffler on a COB 4x14 I had operated in the usual fashion, but also had a nifty hidden feature.

The tensioner shaft was slotted about 10mm past the hilt which fit into a lip in the chrome bezel that the tensioner passes through. You could engage and adjust the muffler in the usual way OR you could pull on the knob a little until the slot and lip engaged each other and THEN adjust the muffs to taste. Using the second method, if you wanted to quickly disengage the muffler you'd just pop the tension knob back in and it would release and spring-return back out of contact with the head. I think the BD muffler did this too. It worked perfectly and didn't make a sound when disengaged, although there was a little pop when you engaged the slot.

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FloydZKing said:
The internal muffler on a COB 4x14 I had operated in the usual fashion, but also had a nifty hidden feature.

The tensioner shaft was slotted about 10mm past the hilt which fit into a lip in the chrome bezel that the tensioner passes through. You could engage and adjust the muffler in the usual way OR you could pull on the knob a little until the slot and lip engaged each other and THEN adjust the muffs to taste. Using the second method, if you wanted to quickly disengage the muffler you'd just pop the tension knob back in and it would release and spring-return back out of contact with the head. I think the BD muffler did this too. It worked perfectly and didn't make a sound when disengaged, although there was a little pop when you engaged the slot.
I'll be. So it does! Not sure it was designed to operate that way, since enough of that kind of use would probably round off the shoulder. Where did you learn that trick?

While on the subject of dampers, the threaded barrel (that fits the spring) that screws on to the end of the adjust shaft is an odd shape. For no apparent reason, the threads are are not bored through the center of the barrel but are off to one side. At the other end of the barrel, a groove has been cut. After the groove, the end of the barrel continues out well past the edge of the spring. I can't figure out why the eccentric bore and the extra machining for the groove. It looks purposeful, but for what?

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I'm going on memory from the late 80s here, but weren't there 2 springs, one on either side of the shaft of the adjuster? Is yours missing one of the springs?

The eccentric bore (who, me?) may be there to give the scissors-like mechanism proper alignment (only goes together with one orientation) er summat. No idea, fun to speculate though.

Oh and I probably learned the trick just by messing around with it. At that time I had zero contacts for sonor info.

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A retaining spring or clip is all I could think of, but not one of the four dampers in my drums possesses one. The eccentric bore (some people may wish to call me that,too) allows the groove to sit beyond the edge of the damper spring/lever, so that would explain it. Thanks for entertaining my questions, FZKing!

Ionic

Reaction score
A good solution for the floor tom would be a set of Pearl's Iso Feet. I've been using them on a Sonor FT
since I got the kit. No problems so far...tight fit.

You could also try using packing peanuts as a sub for the lug inserts. I repacked a lug with one cut to size. Working ok so far.

Great sounding drums. Main gigging kit now since I retired the Yammies.

The second pic might be a one-off. A D-426 with swinger plastic lugs.

Attachments

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did someone have a problem with a floor tom?

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
psalty said:
Did someone have a problem with a floor tom?
I believe in one reply, I asked about replacements for the round ball tips on floor tom legs, I only have one. Also missing one on the snare stand, a larger size. I guess if could find solid black rubber balls of similar size, chip away to make it fit!

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got it. The current theory is that on floor toms, splayed legs sound better. I wouldn't know because I've never AB'd them, but they do give better stability!

However, the round ball is cute, and it would seem that there must be a million round black rubber balls in the world. Spec your size and google it, drill it, pop it on.

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also like showing mine off...they are GREAT drums....sound wonderful! During that era...Sonor's innovation and quality were the best! IMO, up there with Rogers.

IMAG1723_1.jpg

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
DuplexTim said:
Also like showing mine off...they are GREAT drums....sound wonderful! During that era...Sonor's innovation and quality were the best! IMO, up there with Rogers.

IMAG1723_1.jpg
That's an older set you have there, like real early 60's..(?). Do they have thin shells with re-rings? I'll bet they sound great.

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:

IMAG1723_1.jpg
That's an older set you have there, like real early 60's..(?). Do they have thin shells with re-rings? I'll bet they sound great.
Aprox. 1965 (according to the only date stamp on the tom). 3ply with re-rings. Beech...the shells are the thinnest I've ever seen...but they sound...awesome!

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Today's G.A.S. attack is on all of YOU. I was just fine not knowing how "amazing" and "incredible" Teardrops are until this thread kept getting bumped to the top of the page every day.

Dammit! I told myself I was done...

EDIT: What have I got here ply wise? I'm terrible at seeing them sometimes. It smells wonderful inside.

EDIT 2: Just re-read this thread. Apparently I am looking at 6 ply with no re-ring.

Attachments

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
red66charger said:
Today's G.A.S. attack is on all of YOU. I was just fine not knowing how "amazing" and "incredible" Teardrops are until this thread kept getting bumped to the top of the page every day.

haha.....I feel you're pain....but once you taste the best....you'll never go back! Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland....HA! They're nice....but Sonor was/is in a whole different league. Wear headphones...but here's a rough video of mine....enjoy! Oh...those turquoise are nice!

Last edited by a moderator:

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DuplexTim said:

haha.....I feel you're pain....but once you taste the best....you'll never go back! Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland....HA! They're nice....but Sonor was/is in a whole different league. Wear headphones...but here's a rough video of mine....enjoy! Oh...those turquoise are nice!

Oh my, everything about that video was incredible. Drums (sound and appearance), killer playing and those cymbals! Nice sound sample!. I dig the look of the 8x13 toms. I look forward to getting into these.

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
red66charger said:

Oh my, everything about that video was incredible. Drums (sound and appearance), killer playing and those cymbals! Nice sound sample!. I dig the look of the 8x13 toms. I look forward to getting into these.

Thanks....I love them. I was trying to sell them...but have decided that I like them so much....I'm considering selling some of my others (Gretsch RB, Slingerland Jam Session, Duplex 30's Swing kit...) and keep these. Get into them...you won't regret it. Just try and keep these beauties on the DL....we don't want too many vintage folks finding out about them....then we'll have more competition when the Gretsch guys finally see the light!!! Let's just let them keep believing....;)

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
red66charger said:
EDIT: What have I got here ply wise? I'm terrible at seeing them sometimes. It smells wonderful inside.

EDIT 2: Just re-read this thread. Apparently I am looking at 6 ply with no re-ring.
Nice score, keep us posted on the restoration!

Ionic

Reaction score
In an effort to keep these kits under the radar...don't share this with the bop people.