Sonor Vintage vs SQ2 Thin/Medium Beech

Steech

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I’m brand new to this forum so please be kind :).

I have recently become a complete Sonorholic. I’m on my second set of SQ2s, with thin beech Toms and medium beech FT and BD.

I have a potential deal on a Sonor Vintage bop kit in that amazing California Blue.

Question for you: is it worth it?

What would I be getting out of those vintage beech shells that I couldn’t crank out of my SQ2s with maybe different heads and tunings?

i love the crystal clear and open tone from my SQ2s and have loved my true vintage kits in the past so I’m just wondering if the overall tonal palette is sooooo vastly different in the SVs that I would be a fool to pass up what seems like a pretty good deal without needing to wait X months for another custom kit.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to DFO. You should not have to ask folks to be kind just because you favor high end Sonor; but I feel your pain.

A few other lucky folks on the board have had both. Let’s hear from first hand experience which shall be along shortly.

Sonor is a company that can look back into its history and bring forward old things. This finish was offered on the Swinger line in the early 70s.

Welcome,

Frank

DFADB7FB-7A6A-42CF-8331-C706CBA3EBCA.jpeg

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
What would I be getting out of those vintage beech shells that I couldn’t crank out of my SQ2s with maybe different heads and tunings?
The biggest difference between your medium beech SQ2 shells and the Vintage Series shells is the 45 degree vs. roundover bearing edges. Is it enough of a difference to justify adding the Vintages to your arsenal? Personally, I don't think it is, assuming you have similar sizes already. BUT, if you don't already have a bop-sized set in your SQ2 sets, I would let that be my deciding factor. Plus, a California Blue Vintage Series bop set is just cool.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to make sure there is no confusion, the Sonor Vintage Series drums are a different beast from the Vintage-shell design available in the SQ2 line.

I've owned SQ2 medium beech, fine drums overall and probably my first choice in the Sonor line-up for the size and finish selection.

I've also owned the Vintage Series line. Limited, but decent selection of reasonable sizes (bass drum depths in particular). The shells are medium beech with a round-over bearing edge unique to the Vintage Series line. Finishes are predominately wraps, but I believe they are now offering an Alpi Rosewood replica finish.

Best to check them out in person - personally, I found the Vintage Series drums with the medium beech shells to be rounder and woodier-sounding, but a bit less lively and open than say the medium beech SQ2. The bearing edges and hoops likely contribute to that, but I also think the wrap finishes are a tad more constrained also compared to the wood finishes.

Both are fine drum lines, but the Vintage Series is bit more dialed into "a sound" from the outset. I'm not saying it's a bad sound at all. Be aware Sonor does not necessarily give the Vintage Series line the same level of attention to detail and QC as they do the SQ2, at least that is what they told me. You'll probably be fine though - Sonor did a nice job on the Vintage Series design work.

Steech

Reaction score
Thanks for the super quick and helpful feedback, everyone, and thanks Frank for the warm welcome to this awesome forum!

You have all given me a lot to think about. I’m going to try and see exactly how good of a deal I can negotiate before making my decision.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done the Uber high end thing now snd got it out of my system . The Sonor Vintage series are my preferred kit in the Sonor line . I love how warm and full sounding they are . I like the tear drop Repro lugs and the engraved superprofil hoops as well . They really got it right with these drums IMHO.

The SQ2 are wonderful drums and your current selection sounds like a winner . Sonor does beech so well snd you really can’t go wrong with an SQ2 or Vintage series .

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the tear drop Repro lugs and the engraved superprofil hoops as well . They really got it right with these drums IMHO.
Yes the parts were just incredibly done IMO.. The tom holder mount base that is attached to the kick also was just so nicely designed IMO..... Even the brackets on the toms and floors are nice reproductions.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 1980 Phonic kit and even the heavy beech shells are more than up to the task of making a great sounding set of drums.

Would I trade thicker shells for medium or thin? It seemed like a good idea, so I found a set of medium-shell Performers and put all the Phonic hardware on them (they match directly).

I did not find the magic I expected to find. Maybe because the bearing edges are rounded on the Performer and the shells are thinner, the result was less projection and clarity than I had a use for. The overall shell build doesn’t seem that different with the Vintage series, but I’d expect these newer kits to sound better than the Performers I had. From what I’ve heard they do indeed sound better than that.

However, I would not make a point of getting a Vintage series kit. It seems like a horizontal move with little to gain if a high quality set of beech Sonor is already in the mix.

Maybe the question could be: what use would I have for a vintage sounding set, and if needed, can I approximate that with head choices on what I already have?

Steech

Reaction score
Hi @Cauldronics yes, that was exactly my question as well. Having spent some time on my new thin/med beech SQ2s I’m not 100% sure that getting yet another pricey Sonor Beech kit - even if it’s a beautiful California blue Vintage bop kit - is worth it.

I had a nice little Ascent bop kit about a year ago and (very) stupidly sold it. If another Ascent bop kit came along I’d get it ASAP as it’s not going to be anywhere near as expensive as a Vintage bop. Also, I already know for sure that those thick Toms and thinner kick drum would give me a completely different vibe and sound than I can get from my SQ2s.

Butch1970

Reaction score
If you’re planning on gigging them, a wrapped kit like the VS (or the Ascent) might be a bit more durable than those SQ2 beauts!

I wouldn’t be surprised if a new 14x18 in your SQ2 configuration wasn’t that far off in price from this VS kit deal you might be able to grab. Good luck

Steech

Reaction score
Great points @Butch1970! I could just get a bop kick to go with my SQ2s for probably a whole lot less than the VS bop kit. Something to consider….even if it means no California Blue :)

Butch1970

Reaction score
Great points @Butch1970! I could just get a bop kick to go with my SQ2s for probably a whole lot less than the VS bop kit. Something to consider….even if it means no California Blue :)
I completely understand….especially after becoming a recent Sonor junkie myself! I started with an SQ2 bop kit and now I’m exploring Phonics and VS’s