Sonor Vintage vs SQ2 Thin/Medium Beech

peter

Reaction score

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beauty!
Sorry if I missed it, but what are the sizes and shell thicknesses? I can venture that's a 20" bass drum, based on the 8-lugs.
Thanks!
The SQ2 were actually sold recently, I took them to Steve Maxwell’s in NYC and they were bid on the next day at full asking price.

The specs
8x10 and 8x12 thin beech
13x14 FT and 15x20 BD medium beech

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks.

What would you (or, did you) do differently for next time?
I went with medium beech all around and heavy maple on the kick

8/10/12 toms in medium beech
14/16 floor toms in medium beech
16x20 bass drum in heavy maple

Vintage Azure high gloss finish outside, black interior

Should be coming in around May/June barring any additional supply chain issues.

peter

Reaction score
Nice... I was almost going to go with black interiors, but it looks like natural beech actually has a pretty nice grain that I wanted to be able to appreciate.

Was also considering a heavy bass drum since I use the Artie Dixson lifter that the batter end just rests on top of. I was concerned about the lower weight of a smaller shell not anchoring the drum down enough. But I'll deal with that by adding a bean bag inside the drum if necessary.

I will look out for your update(s)!

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice... I was almost going to go with black interiors, but it looks like natural beech actually has a pretty nice grain that I wanted to be able to appreciate.

Was also considering a heavy bass drum since I use the Artie Dixson lifter that the batter end just rests on top of. I was concerned about the lower weight of a smaller shell not anchoring the drum down enough. But I'll deal with that by adding a bean bag inside the drum if necessary.

I will look out for your update(s)!
Same here, eager to see your pics when it all comes in. You got white sparkle, correct? Haha autocorrect changed “when” to “Chernobyl”! Makes total sense!

peter

Reaction score
Same here, eager to see your pics when it all comes in. You got white sparkle, correct? Haha autocorrect changed “when” to “Chernobyl”! Makes total sense!
I stuck with white sparkle, yes. Looks very classy, lights up the dark corner I may have them in, probably best finish for concealing dust, and you don't see too many other white sparkle finishes on drums. In fact, I can't think of any.

I was actually pondering black sparkle since I posted last. But because of the uniform silver tone of the flakes, it kind of just looks dark grey/silver (rather than black, with a bit of iridescent color in the flake).

Chernobyl, haha - Does that mean these drums will cause a melt-down?

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How on earth do you afford these drums..
I think you and I discussed that but maybe in a different thread.

1. I have a pretty good job in the tech industry

2. I have fairly low costs including no school/college to pay for kids

3. I don’t own or need to own a car

4. I buy high end stuff that I know I can resell for close to the original purchase price - my latest SQ2 sold for practically new in 2 days

5. It’s a more or less self-sustaining thing

6. I’m a pretty boring guy. Drums are my only hobby and the only thing I spend serious money on.

Hth

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @Steech

Cymbals are/were (from left to right)
15” Murat Diril Sherazade hats
22” Zildjian K Dark Medium Ride
22” Istanbul Agop Dark Ride
15” Paragon Marlin effects crash under a 10” Meinl HCS filter china
20” Paiste Masters Dark Crash/Ride

what drummer/drummers/ and or style/ inspired your choice and picks, of cymbals.

6d2a6a18-491f-4f69-be4a-12f699cb4d99-jpeg.535361

like what's the drummers names or what styles/ motivates in choosing those pies

Last edited:

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @Steech

what drummer/drummers/ and or style/ inspired your choice and picks, of cymbals.

like what's the drummers names or what's was or what is your motivation in choosing those pies
Thanks for asking. I like a bunch of different drummers and it’s really more that I wanted to go for an overall tonal palette, if that makes sense.

I like the cymbal sounds that I hear from Benny Greb, Jack de Johnette, and Elvin Jones, but I also wanted some cymbals that were very dark but still articulate and with some wash. The cymbals that I’ve found give me the most of these qualities are the Agops (Xist and OM), the thinner and larger Paistes and Meinls, and a few of those effects cymbals with the holes. Larger and thinner rides make better crashes imo than crashes do and are much more complex and interesting, if maybe a bit slower to open up. The big Constantine ride that you see in the pic was a gamble that paid off as I had originally been looking at Bosphorus Black Pearl rides and this one came up (with the same name) and felt more exotic and also sounded much better to my ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @Steech

like what's the drummers names or what styles/ motivates in choosing those pies
As for style, I love fusion, prog, jazz, and funk, and keep toying around with incorporating odd time, polymeter, and polyrhythms into grooves without making them sound too technical or stilted. It’s an ongoing process…

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just making sure it wasn't Clem Cattini nor even Bonham- didn't look that way- more fusion hip-hop- like you say.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just making sure it wasn't Clem Cattini nor even Bonham- didn't look that way- more fusion hip-hop- like you say.
Yup. But I do love Bonham and used to play a lot more like him when I was younger.