Sonor

Tarkus

Reaction score
Every day a new drum? Didn't you just present a Gong drum?

Anyway, congratulations to the D-444. Nice find. In theory, it might sound similar to the 455 that you wanted initially.

The muffler system looks incomplete, At the empty hole close the the head should be a rod installed with two mufflers attached ... but who needs mufflers.

Did you read Franks comments on D-444 COB?

Greetings
Markus

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haha this wasn't planned so quick tbh. Additional rack parts came in today, and a price request for a 8x7 and second matching) 20'' gong has been made last week too.

You mean it could be Ferro?

Yes. I've got this from a specialized in vintage drums (and Sonor) and this is a COB indeed.

It is a hefty warm stunner now after some playtime in the studio.

And indeed who needs two mutes anyway :laughing6:this one is already close to being too much.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very nice. How can you tell the 444 is COB?
The seller is experienced enough in Sonor and (vintage) drums in general.

I read that ferro can corrode/pit and COB doesn’t, the shell is basically flawless (compared to the die cast hoops).

Also it has much more warmth than steel/Ferro and is quite heavier than its Ferro brothers and sisters.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good to have expertise and passion. I myself em not an expert, but just another drummer on the board.

As far as I know, the first drum is not a 455, but rather a D453. The D453 is described as being metal in the Ranger and Medley leaflets featuring imperial lugs. These were only offered in the EU to compete with Ludwig which is why the tom lugs look like Ludwig as well.

This is not the first time Sonor used imperial lugs. The 1935 Sonor Extra Concert snare featured imperial lugs. Coincidentally, the Ludwig Imperial lug was first introduced in 1935 with our 25 anniversary snares.

museumsonorextra.jpg

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I couldn’t even find a 455 :-D my bad.

How can you tell the difference from 453 and 455? To me they look the same.

Im actually glad he didn’t have it anymore because it would have been better just getting a Supra because it has that vibe.

Last edited:

Tarkus

Reaction score
Good to have expertise and passion. I myself em not an expert, but just another drummer on the board.

Being quite new here, this is the largest understatement I saw up to now.

Really appreciate your comments. And to give something back, here a little documentary about Sonor metal shell production (maybe known already):

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I have to admit I do prefer a Ludwig alu more but regardless ferro or brass, Sonor has always been top of their game.
Comparing a Supra and a D454 is a good example for a great and unique sound having nothing to do with build quality. Just my two cents.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Being quite new here, this is the largest understatement I saw up to now.

Really appreciate your comments. And to give something back, here a little documentary about Sonor metal shell production (maybe known already):

Thanks so much for that clip and in English. Gonna use it in a response on another thread later this weekend to answer some more questions. Have seen the film. From the 94 Designer promo but clips like this are older.

perfect timing and timing is everything to us timekeepers

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She now resides in the good company of my DW/Zildjian kit.

BED3B8D0-17FA-4A65-B5D5-50D88CD6EE27.jpeg

It is a hefty beasty.

The die cast hoops really help in getting that fine crack and a thick cross stick sound under de mic.