Sorta OT: Behringer K450FX amp issue

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
Several months ago I purchased a used Behringer K450FX 3 channel keyboard amp from GC. Since it was used I purchased the 1 year repair warranty they offer. I use it for a digital piano and the KAT percpad that I recently purchased.

Recently one of the channels became very noisy. It has a lot of static. The other two channels are OK and no other functions appear to be impacted.

When I reached out to GC to request that the amp be repaired, the only option I was presented with was to send the amp to their group that handles this, and they would send me a GC gift card for the purchase price of the amp + tax. Because it was not an expensive amp repair is not even an option.

I really like the amp and would rather get it repaired if possible. I know in this day and age most electronic devices are not really serviceable.

Should I take the GC offer of a gift card or try to get the amp serviced?

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
-Ed

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
If the gift card does cover actual replacement cost I'd go with that. Behringer isn't known for long-term reliability and you never know what other issues might pop up down the road.

We've gone through three or four Behringer powered boards in the last 7 years. Our singer buys them and would rather do that than invest in a better quality setup with a higher up-front cost.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Another thing to look at is, if you have a bit of extra cash, take the gift card and look for something a little higher quality or with more features that you might want.

Although Behringer is decent equipment, I agree with BeachBoy that it's not made for the long haul.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because of Import tariffs with China where most of the electronics come from it is not feasible to repair it. We live in a throw away society. China negotiated a non tariff on new products, but has to pay import tariffs for replacement parts. I recently went through this on a Wharfedale powered speaker repair. I thought Wharfedales were made in England, which was the case until a year or two ago and they were purchased by a Chinese company. The repair amp had a $150 tariff and $249 amp cost making the repair $400 for a speaker that sold new for $500 and change. We live in a throw away society as a result of politics and trade agreements between countries, on top of the fact that service by these Chinese electronics companies is shoddy at best. I don't know for a fact, but I would be willing to bet that is why Guitar center is opting to just refund you money. Just buy a new amp and move on down the road it's not worth the hassle.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Again, this is why I don't buy Behringer.

Not only is it low-cost chinese ripoff merch, but it's useless to repair because the shipping and bench fees are more than the POS was worth to begin with.

Take the gift card and RUN. Get something that doesn't have the name "Behringer" on it and you'll be much happier in the long run.

But in all honestly, get some contact cleaner and spray it in the noisy pot, then turn the knob rapidly for a few minutes. That should clear out any dust or particles that are causing the static in the first place.

gbake

Reaction score
Behringer has repair facility in the Las Vegas area now. I know they service pro audio there but don't know about musical instruments. It's worth a shot.

green glass drum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MonkeyGrass said:
Again, this is why I don't buy Behringer.

Not only is it low-cost chinese ripoff merch, but it's useless to repair because the shipping and bench fees are more than the POS was worth to begin with.

Take the gift card and RUN. Get something that doesn't have the name "Behringer" on it and you'll be much happier in the long run.

But in all honestly, get some contact cleaner and spray it in the noisy pot, then turn the knob rapidly for a few minutes. That should clear out any dust or particles that are causing the static in the first place.
Be sure to have it powered off when you spray the stuff. Blow it out with compressed air to let it dry.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to checked to see if the noise is from a dirty input jack. That's the most likely cause.

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I tried using it last night with the two good channels and all of a sudden it lost about 2/3 of it's volume. I wasn't even pushing it that hard.

Needless to say I took the GC deal.