Sorta OT: In a New York kinda way

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
A little help here please???

Student of mine .... mother is headed to NYC for a visit in a few day. Going to be around the Upper East Side.

She's wondering if there are any good jazz clubs in the area or the whole city in general ....

Anyone???

Thanks,
Robb

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Robb,

I would suggest the Iridium. 1650 Broadway (51st). Real close to Times Square. We saw Teddy Charles a few years ago. Lots of fun but kind of on the expensive side.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7n2NP05Oyx8ANn5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0NWhtZGs1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1FJMDI2XzE4Nw--/SIG=11fp47sbq/EXP=1313779725/**http%3a//iridiumjazzclub.com/

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a webpage from a cursory glance at google:

http://www.ny.com/clubs/jazz/

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
+1 on the Iridium Jazz Club.

I saw Bernard Purdie there earlier this summer. The performance room is downstairs - seats maybe 80- to 100 people with excellent views from most of the tables.

thegayge

Reaction score
One more for Iridium. I was passing by and saw that Billy Hart was playing a few years ago. We didn't have time to stay, but that door guy let me peek in see the group for a minute or two. Sound was stellar.

Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola in Lincoln Center is also really nice. Again, a little pricey, but great seats, they usually have something nice happening, and it's a very well-balanced acoustic setting. Saw Bobby Watson with Victor Lewis on drums and Denny Zeitlin with Matt Wilson there. Both wonderful performances.

I don't know anything about NYC geography, but Birdland can't be too far from there either. Saw Roy Haynes with Fountain of Youth there. Pretty incredible. He was absolutely killing. He got up during a piano solo, went to the bar, and may have gotten an 8-10 oz. straight pour of vodka.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
how about smalls jazz club that some of us watch live streaming on the net. pretty sure they are in nyc.

mike

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not to be contrarian or anything but last time I was there the Iridium treated its customers like cattle. Dizzy's is gorgeous but expensive and it doesn't sound that great.

My three faves:
Smoke
Jazz Standard
Village Vanguard.

The restaurant at the Standard is really solid, too. There are plenty of other great places to go, too. My strong suggestion isn't to choose the evening by the club but instead to chose by the performer. Look at the Village Voice's online calendar and see where things are happening.

nanashi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
May be overkill but a good site to visit.

www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com

Who says Jazz is dead?

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
My strong suggestion isn't to choose the evening by the club but instead to chose by the performer. Look at the Village Voice's online calendar and see where things are happening.

That's a great thought Neal .... of course I had to have suggestions of places before I suggested to the mom to check out who was where!!

Robb

5 Style

DFO Master
Reaction score
What about the Knitting Factory? That place has a lot of rock stuff now I understand, but started out with most cutting edge kinda jazz stuff... the kind of ' NYC "downtown" jazz that I happen to really dig. Pretty sure that they still have some amount of jazz there, though NYC folks will know better. Sweet Basil's closed? Think I remember hearing that. Too bad... ;cos that was another nice club. When I'm there, I really comb the listings in the Village Voice and sometimes there's good stuff at less well known venues for less cash... Seeing a top name jazz act in NYC can be some big bucks! As much as seeing a pop concert some other places.

I'll be there for a few days in September as a matter of fact and I'll let folks know when I do. If someone's playing or wants to meet up to hear something (hopefully jazz!) than, I'd be game for that. I'll post about it when the time gets a little sooner to when I'll be there...

madsplash

Martin Van Nostrand
Reaction score
how about smalls jazz club that some of us watch live streaming on the net. pretty sure they are in nyc.

mike

Love that stream from Small's. I watch it quite a bit. Cool little Canopus bop set there that everyone plays.

There are really good musician's that play there. Great stuff.

Have you seen drummer Ari Hoenig's groups play there? He's a very creative player out of North Texas State. Check him out next time he's there. Really unique player.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score

mike

Love that stream from Small's. I watch it quite a bit. Cool little Canopus bop set there that everyone plays.

There are really good musician's that play there. Great stuff.

Have you seen drummer Ari Hoenig's groups play there? He's a very creative player out of North Texas State. Check him out next time he's there. Really unique player.
yep. ive caught ari on there a few times. i have the computer run through a receiver,eq and some bose speakers. i was sitting here surfing the forum and just listening to smalls. ari started playing and was like what the?? had to watch it too. great stuff.

youre right that small kit they have sounds very nice. fun to watch some of the drummers tune it from time to time.

mike

Latest posts