Sorting the stencils project...

onedrum77

Reaction score
Hi All--Here are the badges i have ,not sure if by tama or pearl...Astro[not the new ones out now]--Apollo--Audition[2 types]--Crest---Crown[2 types]--Drum mate---Del ray---Gracy[2 types]--St.George[3 types]--Hu-Lo--Kingston---Kevin [2 types]--Karen---Knox---Maxwin---Marathon---Mercury---Maxitone---Majestic [2 types]]--Mira--Norma--Pro--Revere---Raven--Royce--Revelle [5 types]--Sir Charles--Symphony---Star [4 types]--Tempo--Whitehall---,The next four have the story behind them that i will post soon...Cooper---Mindy---Stagemaster---Temest and tempest De Luxe....mike

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
ArchT: My dad had a guy at a machine shop make a steel plate about 6" in diameter with the hole in the middle for the original spur. The plate was bent to the shape of the shell. When the spurs were re-installed, the pressure of the not inside the shell help the plates in place and straightened the shell right out. I remember we went pretty slowly and were as gentle as possible so that the shell didn't split. And it didn't. Solved that problem.
We eventually put a Ludwig rail on it, too. That helped.

BKeeper

Reaction score
Interesting post.

My first kit was a blue sparkle Torodor (see my Avatar). Your list also shows the sometimes confused "Toreador(?)" spelling from the Japanese Drum Museum website, but I can confirm first hand that it has always been "Torodor". The base drum always used the second "O" for the vent hole, but the snare and toms all had all three "O's" on the badges. I remember that the set came with a pedal marked "Pearl Drum Company" on the bottom.

Mr B

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, Ive updated the lists...

Pearls:

Appollo (Also Star)
CB-700
Challenger
Coronet
Crest
Dixon
Dixie
Lyra
Majestic (Also Star)
Maxwin
Penncrest
Revelle
Revere
Roxy
Royce
Stewert
Tempro
Torodor
Whitehall

Andy K
Ben Tone
Champion
Ideal
Cortley
Heit
Kimberly
Maestro Swing Master
Samson
Starlite
Tempo
US Mercury
Werco
Zim Gar (Also Star)
---------------

Star:

Black Jack
Crown
Del Ray Teisco
Kingston
Lotus
Mica
Zim-Gar (Also Pearl)
Starlight

Apollo (Also Pearl)
Lido
Majestic (Also Pearl)
King Stone
Ralston
----------------

Onedrum: Thanks Mike, Id like to hear the story!

mwb5271: Is there anyway you could post a pic of that badge? Thanks in advance.

Tommy/Archt: I did a similar repair for a friend with squares of 1/4 thick Luan plywood glued into place and extra large washers found a tractor supply store.

BKeeper: There does some to be some confusion about that name, but your avatar alone clearly sorts that, Thanks!

Big Beat: Wow, great info, Thanks! This does raise some interesting questions.

Was there another or more companies building these cheap imports? Im sure about the ones I listed because Ive carefully studied both vintage Pearl & Star catalogs for my reference.

And did the distributors change makers, perhaps to the lowest bidder? Ive certainly noticed this for the No Name sets sold in the Sears catalogs. BTW, these could be ordered in any color you wanted as long as it was blue or red glitter.

---------------------------------------

So far it looks like Pearl is responsible for more of these brands...? But, I will periodically add to this thread as members post new examples with clearly identifiable photos.

Here's a tread has good pics of another Star tom mount system, cymbal mount, & snare throw I wasnt able to find large photos of before...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45311

Thanks again,

-Kirk

p.s. Tempro logo copied from a ordinal bass head.

Rob G.

Reaction score
Hey, if you need more pics of my Tiger Stripe Stars in the link, just ask. I've been taking a bunch and I've got even bigger pics. Actually, I collect pics of this stuff too, so I can appreciate it. :D

Also, about the Sears Catalogs, there's a guy on Flickr who does scans of old Wishbooks and other catalogs, you can find him here. I went through a while ago and found the drums. They were always blue sparkle! Fun stuff.

Den

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kirk, just so's ya know...and I just checked the badge on my kit...it's spelled "Starlight". I wasn't sure when I typed out my first response.

Not that big of deal, but if you're really in to the specifics, it makes sense to spell it correct. Sorry if my post screwed that up for you.

Here's a look at a picture from online. Mine however is a purple foil, everything else is the same.

Mr B

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Den: Me...?

A dyslexic drummer?

Who-da thunk.

Corrections made, Thanks!

Noticed the i is dotted with a star?

Rob G.: I referenced a link to your kit in my last post- Good detail photos there, Thanks! :occasion5:

-Kirk

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Mr B: I'm sure a piece of wooden drum shell would be great under those spurs as well. You might have to steam it or something to shape it.

Really good work on the list. I'm saving it. :) I'm sure it's not done yet, though.

jonnistix

Reaction score
And here�s the lists as they stand...

Pearls:

Appollo
CB-700
Challenger
Coronet
Crest
Dixon
Dixie
Lyra
Majestic
Maxwin
Penncrest
Revelle
Revere
Roxy
Royce
Stewert
Tempro
Torodor (Toreador?)
Whitehall
---------------

Star's:

Black Jack
Crown
Del Ray Teisco
Kingston
Lotus
Mica
Zim-Gar
----------------

So if anybody has any Kit names they can add -Perhaps your first set or a recent 5$ flea market find please speak up!

I�ll add them to this post as they show up.

Also I�d love to hear about any extra insights, corrections to the above, or stories you might want to share!

Thanks in advance!

-Kirk
I am sorry to disagree, but I have a Majestic kit, and all the hardware on them point to Star, not Pearl. Even the later "Semi Pro" series floor tom has a much higher quality shell than Pearl ever used for stencil kits. It is clear maple, 3 heavy ply with 3 rerings. All in maple, and it actually sounds more like a Ludwig or Slingerland than I would ever imagine. The only thing I have done is take off the original "SoundMaster" heads and put some Pinstripes on, which, honestly, are not my favorites, and I hit the edges with 100 & 220 sandpaper and then a good coat of wax. I only changed the batter edge very slightly, giving it the bearest of a "point", leaving intact most of the original contour and it now sings. Anytime you start on one of these old kits, you will probably have to change your edges. The 60s & 70s kits used very different head technology, so today's heads don't work well on them, for the most part. At first I put those new heads on, it choked, but after the 220 and wax, it opened it up to a very wide tuning range. Thge guys playing the older Luddy and Slingy sets had a bear of a time getting their kits tuned, until the head manufacturers figured out we are not going to screw up our drums, nor are we gonna buy the new crap they are pumping out and calling drums. My old Majestics sound so much better than even some of the mid-range stuff of today. Most of these kits are built in China, and I can prove it. I am exploring getting into importing kits, and I have offers from one of the biggest Chinese makers out there, and the stuff looks exactly like the badged mid range kits offer today. Know all now: 75-80% of all drums on the market right now, being sold by our beloved "American" drum companies, are built in the same 8 plants in China. Period. Only the top of the line kits are made here. And even some of those use Chinese shells. I have an Alibaba account, and I can buy whatever you want, just help me pony up the money for the minimum order, and BOOM, we got our own drum company. Anybody want to play?

Ralf

Reaction score
Awesome thread and outstanding excellent research, Mr. B.!
It appears that I have made similar considerations without
knowing that you did the same, just half a year earlier.
But mine are exclusively made concerning STAR (as this
was my first 'love' = first proper drumset in 1974 - and
I bought it back two years ago ...).

Thanx to Rob G., I got notice of this forum.
I like to set here a link to my thread concerning STAR
in another vintage drum forum, as it will be a wonderful
completion to this thread here:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=9404

Additional brand names, that at least used STAR spare parts
or very similar to equal lugs, brackets etc.:

- Artist
- Drum Craft
- Jason
- Lido Supreme
- Lyra (yes!)
- Stewart (yes!)
- Werco

I like to point out that all these brand names seem to be
specific for USA only. In Germany, where I live, STAR was
always and only STAR. Those other name never appeared here.

Ralf from Germany

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is the kit I was talking about earlier that I fixed for the neighborhood kid.
Zim Gars. You can see a shot of the clamps I used to add some 1/4 luan to fix/reinforce the bass drum that had been punched in at both spurs. I also had to remove most of the plys for the floor tom from the inside and replace them. After routing new bearing edges and getting them back together they sounded pretty good.

Retro Rob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first drum was a Coronet about 1965, hell I even had a Buddy Rich haircut

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another name that I saw in the atlanta area was Ruether,I remember seeing quite a few of those,they had thin luan shells , no re rings as I remember.About 15 yrs ago I was looking for a funky old inexpensive Shabby chic kit to play with in a blues band ,walked into a shop and there was a mint condition Reuther in pink sparkle but it had already been sold,I got a 50's sky blue pearl Pearl kit instead.Both those kits had alot of charecter and a great vibe.

Mr B

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ralf: I just read your Star/Tama thread at Vintage drum forum. Thanks for the link & thanks for some new names to add to the list, Really helps fill in the Star’s column.

It’s true, my list is mainly based on what I’ve seen here in the States.

I too wish some one with actual connections the Japanese drum industry of that era would appear and help clear up some of the confusion!

Makes me wonder if there are some Japanese language only vintage drum forums where this stuff gets discussed???

Johnnistix: Majestic shows up on my original list as a Pearl so I’m confident that I’ve seen one with Pearl hardware. So I’ve listed as one of the brands that show up as being used by both makers.

Thanks again Gentlemen for your input and welcome to DFO!

btw: Nice work Archt!

Marc M: Do you think the Reuther was 60’/70’s Japanese made?

-Kirk

Below the updated list ...

(10-18-09)

Pearl:

Appollo (Also Star)
Andy K
Ben Tone
CB-700
Challenger
Champion
Coronet
Cortley
Crest
Dixon
Dixie
Heit
Ideal
Kimberly
Lyra (Also Star)
Maestro Swing Master
Majestic (Also Star)
Maxwin
Penncrest
Revelle
Revere
Roxy
Royce
Samson
Starlight
Stewert (Also Star)
Tempo
Tempro
Torodor
US Mercury
Werco (Also Star)
Whitehall
Zim Gar (Also Star)
---------------

Star:

Apollo (Also Pearl)
Artist
Black Jack
Crown
Del Ray Teisco
Drum Craft
Jason
Kingston
King Stone
Lido
Lido Supreme
Lotus
Lyra (Also Pearl)
Majestic (Also Pearl)
Mica
Ralston
Starlight
Stewart (Also Pearl)
Werco (Also Pearl)
Zim-Gar (Also Pearl)

Ralf

Reaction score
Although it's some time ago with the last post here, I like to kindly give you all a note, that I've designed a website about STAR drums only, shortly:
www.star-drums.de

Any comments are welcome and if someone here has pics to show there: let me know, please (I'm sure that members here do have something to show that could be added).

Cheers, Ralf

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
I have a nice majestic snare. I think the hardware on it is top notch, miro-adjust butt, fine thread tension rods, beefy hoops, tone control has micro adjust and also instant on/off. They were putting some effort into these. Thanks for posting the info.

jamesgdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mr B said:
And here�s the lists as they stand...

Pearls:

Appollo
CB-700
Challenger
Coronet
Crest
Dixon
Dixie
Lyra
Majestic
Maxwin
Penncrest
Revelle
Revere
Roxy
Royce
Stewert
Tempro
Torodor (Toreador?)
Whitehall
---------------

Star's:

Black Jack
Crown
Del Ray Teisco
Kingston
Lotus
Mica
Zim-Gar
----------------

So if anybody has any Kit names they can add -Perhaps your first set or a recent 5$ flea market find please speak up!

I�ll add them to this post as they show up.

Also I�d love to hear about any extra insights, corrections to the above, or stories you might want to share!

Thanks in advance!

-Kirk
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that majestic was a star stencil...

Ralf

Reaction score
jamesgdrummer said:
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that majestic was a star stencil...
Yes and no. There existed two different Majestic badges (the Star one can be seen on my website, the other is a Pearl sub-brand). The shape of the badge and the hardware parts at the respective drumset tell the story to which of both Majestic producers a kit belongs.

Ralf

Mr B

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, old thread!

And when I look at it my photos don’t show up anymore (just little black diamonds with ?)...

Is anyone else not seeing them or is it just my Jurassic Mac?

Ralf- Looking forward to your site!

Thanks,

-Kirk

Latest posts