Soultone

J

johnny

In another thread a member mentioned Soultone cymbals and am wondering if any of our members actually use this brand, or have tried them out?? Thanks

DrumBob

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've had experience with them.

A few years ago, I was contacted by Soultone's marketing rep/artist relations guy. I don't remember his name, but he was an annoying, egotistical type who lived about an hour from me in NW NJ. I didn't like the guy straight off. He offered me an artist endorsement. The upshot was, they wanted me to write an article about them for Classic Drummer, and thought that by offering me a deal, they'd curry favor and persuade me into helping them. He brought a bag of cymbals to one of my gigs, and I didn't like any of them. After he priced out a complete set, the tab came to well over $800 with the artist discount. That was a ride, two crashes, hats, a China and a splash, my usual setup.

Meanwhile, I did a little research on the company and spoke to Bermuda Schwartz, who knew the guy who owned the company, an Israeli named Icky. Really. That was his name. He used to have a shop in California where he made drums, and the guy had a dicey reputation within the industry.

I decided that I wasn't interested in Soultone cymbals, didn't like the fact that they tried to bribe me with a deal, and it would not be in my best interest to write an article about them. Done. I blew them off and haven't looked back.

As far as the cymbals themselves, they're farmed out to a few different foundries in Turkey who stamp the name Soultone on them. Most likely, Istanbul Mehmet makes some of them, maybe Agop also. TRX cymbals are the same concept; they're OEM'd by other foundries.

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I did a little research on the company and spoke to Bermuda Schwartz, who knew the guy who owned the company, an Israeli named Icky. Really. That was his name. He used to have a shop in California where he made drums, and the guy had a dicey reputation within the industry.
The Soultone cymbals were originally re-inked Buzin cymbals, which were private-labeled Masterwork cymbals. Yossi Buzin and Iki Levy were partners in an L.A. drum shop (Drum Connection) about 5 years ago, with its own cymbal and drum line: Buzin. Yossi was the offensive one, and there was a lot of hype and outright lies about both the cymbals and drums (Keller shells they claimed were laid-up by them and the drums made "from the ground up". Poor finishes, bad edges... don't get me started again!) Both products were so outrageously priced, that even with a discount they were still expensive.

Thankfully, Yossi and Iki split and the shop closed, and Iki took over the remaining business by changing the cymbals to Soultone, and the drums to DC California (DC = Drum Connection.) He exhibits each year at NAMM, and I had a nice chat with Iki at a recent show. He assured me that the cymbals were no longer sourced from Masterwork, but of course didn't say where.

Bermuda

J

johnny

The Soultone cymbals were originally re-inked Buzin cymbals, which were private-labeled Masterwork cymbals. Yossi Buzin and Iki Levy were partners in an L.A. drum shop (Drum Connection) about 5 years ago, with its own cymbal and drum line: Buzin. Yossi was the offensive one, and there was a lot of hype and outright lies about both the cymbals and drums (Keller shells they claimed were laid-up by them and the drums made "from the ground up". Poor finishes, bad edges... don't get me started again!) Both products were so outrageously priced, that even with a discount they were still expensive.

Thankfully, Yossi and Iki split and the shop closed, and Iki took over the remaining business by changing the cymbals to Soultone, and the drums to DC California (DC = Drum Connection.) He exhibits each year at NAMM, and I had a nice chat with Iki at a recent show. He assured me that the cymbals were no longer sourced from Masterwork, but of course didn't say where.

Bermuda
Thanks guys. I'll stay clear.

DrumBob

DFO Star
Reaction score

Bermuda
Thanks for clarifying, Bermuda. The whole thing seemed pretty "icky" to me.

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, Bermuda. The whole thing seemed pretty "icky" to me.
It was, you should have seen Yossi in action. It's better now, but I don't know if Iki can really recover from the damage done here in L.A. with a lot of pros watching.

Bermuda