~ Sound test ~ RB bebop kit against a SSB#1 bebop kit

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
AtlantaDrumGuy said:
The Round Badge still holds most prestige.
AtlantaDrumGuy, I don't blame you but with that being said... the mindset that RB drums are/have more prestige over the other eras IMO have really hurt SSB kits as far as hot collectables goes.

And isn't it's weird... if somebody famous played a particular set of drums the value goes up! Oh, well... I, do know for a fact, I will never sale my SSB#1 bebop kits because collectors feel they are less prestigious.

Hopefully sooner not later the mindset will change and everybody holding those SSB kits will become HAPPY they did.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:

Hopefully sooner not later the mindset will change and everybody holding those SSB kits will become HAPPY they did.
all it took for me was rehabbing the edges on my SSB's ... like night and day

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
mlvbs said:
The dryness and short notes of RB drums are what make them so popular with jazz drummers, who don't want the long-lasting tom notes...it's always funny to watch people who are accustomed to modern drums, where the toms go, "BOOOOoooooommmm....," play a RB kit for the first time...they often think they're horrible sounding.
If tuned right, RB's have very good sustain. What they don't have is a lot of stray overtones, due to the mass of the hoops and lugs, which focus the fundamental note. That's why they're so great for jazz: They never sound too ringy or sloppy, and they don't interfere with the frequencies of an acoustic bass, piano, etc.
Well, it's probably semantics at this point, but I totally agree that they have very good sustain. What they don't have, in my opinion, is long sustain (possibly what you're referring to as "ringy"), and the drummers that tend to dislike them equate long sustain with good sustain. The length of time that you hear a note from a '60s Ludwig, Camco, or Rogers tom, all else being equal, is usually going to be longer than that of a '60s Gretsch tom note.

Yeah, but a lot of the sustain on most drums is comprised of stray overtones, which are coming from the rims, lugs, mounts, etc. Lots of frequencies going on. Some people like this, but the fundamental note is pretty much obscured. This is typical of vintage Ludwig, Slingerland, etc.

Gretsch had a different formula. The sustain may have not been as "ringy," but the fundamental note was real focused: wide open but not "splashy." It's a beautiful thing, and all the advertising about "that great Grestch sound" was not hype.

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
Yeah, but a lot of the sustain on most drums is comprised of stray overtones, which are coming from the rims, lugs, mounts, etc. Lots of frequencies going on. Some people like this, but the fundamental note is pretty much obscured. This is typical of vintage Ludwig, Slingerland, etc.

Gretsch had a different formula. The sustain may have not been as "ringy," but the fundamental note was real focused: wide open but not "splashy." It's a beautiful thing, and all the advertising about "that great Grestch sound" was not hype.
I agree 100%, and I like your description of the fundamental vs the overtones. Gretsch RB has always been my favorite drum sound!

edge

Reaction score
AtlantaDrumGuy said:
Yes but I like the look of the Stop Sign Badge better, as for the drums, I have seen several SSB drums with
RB shells and edges, always assumed these were the transitional period, then the thin shells with different rounded edges, to me these were the best sounding, then the transition again where they changed to a thicker shell and went to the 30 degree edge, still during that time period there were leftover shells used and even mixed in with the new thicker shells, late 70's era.
I once put die cast hoops on a Jasper Fibes bop kit, amazing and much more Gretsch like in sound and feel

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
edge said:
Yes but I like the look of the Stop Sign Badge better, as for the drums, I have seen several SSB drums with
RB shells and edges, always assumed these were the transitional period, then the thin shells with different rounded edges, to me these were the best sounding, then the transition again where they changed to a thicker shell and went to the 30 degree edge, still during that time period there were leftover shells used and even mixed in with the new thicker shells, late 70's era.
I once put die cast hoops on a Jasper Fibes bop kit, amazing and much more Gretsch like in sound and feel
Wow edge, if what you are saying is true... then, I should be able to find me some die cast hoops to fit my 1999 Austin FIBES bebop kit.
1209131633a.jpg 1209131634a.jpg
Now, I wonder where on earth, can I find me a two 6-lug 12" Gretsch die cast hoops to fit my 12" FIBES tom? Since Gretsch 12x8 toms all have 5-lugs would any old 6-lug die cast hoop give me that Gretsch sound?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you'd be safe with a Gibraltar die-cast as they appear to be the same as the modern Gretsch hoops (being under the same corporate umbrella) which are pretty close to the old Gretsch hoops. Gretsch never made a 6 lug 12" so you're not going to find any "authentic" Gretsch ones anywhere.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. said:
I think you'd be safe with a Gibraltar die-cast as they appear to be the same as the modern Gretsch hoops (being under the same corporate umbrella) which are pretty close to the old Gretsch hoops. Gretsch never made a 6 lug 12" so you're not going to find any "authentic" Gretsch ones anywhere.
Totally tangential, but what about Gretsch 6 lug snares? Did they only come with claws?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gary said:
Totally tangential, but what about Gretsch 6 lug snares? Did they only come with claws?
There were 6 lug 14" die-cast hoops on the later "Dixieland" model six lug snare drums. I've tracked down a pair or two over the years to replace the single flange hoops on older Dixie's.

dontfeartheringo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is Jack's famous for wrecking drums? I've had a couple of their toms pass through my shop with weird, odd wraps and drill holes. You'd never know except that they proudly put that little silver sticker in there like a suicide note.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
dontfeartheringo said:
Is Jack's famous for wrecking drums? I've had a couple of their toms pass through my shop with weird, odd wraps and drill holes. You'd never know except that they proudly put that little silver sticker in there like a suicide note.
Not to split hairs but wouldn't that be more of a murder confession?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not to split hair's but would that be more of a murder confession?

Sort of like finding "Nodar Rode" written in sharpie on a bearing edge.

Latest posts