Source for Ludwig Rail mount parts?

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for Ludwig rail mount parts? Specifically, I would like to replace the carriage bolts and long nuts that hold the tom and holder in position on the rail, not the smaller bolts that hold the consolette to the drum.

I have looked previously, and never found a perfect fit. I would like to be able to use my Ludwig tool, but am fine with wing nuts/handles. The kit will not be moved, but I want it to be stable and easy to reposition. I don't want to buy a new mount.

Thanks.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a repro mount from Maxwell and when I had to replace the carriage bolt after it stripped out, I just bought them at the local hardware store (bought extras for my spares/extras bag). I could have gotten them in chrome but just opted for stainless steel since they're cheaper. The nuts I found were larger and don't fit the Ludwig wrench anymore though. I just use a ratchet with a 1/2" socket. I would also like to know where the original size nuts could be found.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those nuts were a special design and had a thinner wall than typical hardware store nuts. The reason was because they used two different sized bolts on the original rails but wanted one wrench to fit both so the nut on the larger bolt used for the lower part had a thinner wall so that it could also fit a 7/16ths sized wrench.

I'm not sure but it's possible that a coupling nut (used for threaded rod) might have the right dimension.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those nuts were a special design and had a thinner wall than typical hardware store nuts. The reason was because they used two different sized bolts on the original rails but wanted one wrench to fit both so the nut on the larger bolt used for the lower part had a thinner wall so that it could also fit a 7/16ths sized wrench.

I'm not sure but it's possible that a coupling nut (used for threaded rod) might have the right dimension.
Thanks Kevin. I found something that said the coupling nuts might work and can be cut down in length. I don't know I could do that safely though without a vise. I guess I could pick one up and try it though. Would prefer to just buy a few and have them.

Thanks!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I might try the coupling nuts idea too; it would be nice to not have to carry the ratchet in my bag.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone on Facebook said that Ace Hardware carries the needed size. Digging around I found the size also listed here: LONG HEX NUT (14-20 or 5/16-18)

Last edited:

Latest posts