Source for snare drum hoop clips?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I gifted a friend of mine a near mint 6-lug Ludwig and Ludwig snare in the late 80s. As he was purging his collection, after asking delicately, he decided to return it to me. I wasn't insulted in the least. Sadly, he never met a case or bag that he liked, so this drum has fallen into disrepair. The throw is OK, but a few of the hoop clips have cracked. Should I just find a 6-lug hoop and call it a day, or source 6 clips from a reputable dealer? All opinions and advice very much welcomed.

Dan

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you just need a top hoop, a 6 lug 14" tom hoop may be just as cheap. However, it probably won't sound (and look) right versus the original and/or clipped bottom hoop. The 1.6mm basic chrome is $13.

Without seeing it, I'd recommend getting all new clips and using those and saving the originals (even the broken ones). Also, if the old hoops are bent/worn, you might consider new single flange hoops, too. They are pretty cheap, took.

Single flanged chrome hoops are $13 each (top or bottom), and the CH-1 clips for those hoops are $2 each, so $50 + s/h. But if you buy $100, then it's free s/h. I seem to always get up to $100 with snare wires, heads, sticks, etc.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What year is the snare? Love to see it. It could have NOB single flange hoops on it. Use them if at all possible. I would avoid cheap chrome hoops, single flange or triple flange on it. I've noticed a difference in the sound.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What year is the snare? Love to see it. It could have NOB single flange hoops on it. Use them if at all possible. I would avoid cheap chrome hoops, single flange or triple flange on it. I've noticed a difference in the sound.
I'm not sure of the year. I can post pics at some point. It would be nice to have knowledgeable eyes on it, at least better than mine.

Dan

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used DFD for some replacement brass clips for my WorldMax 7x13. Strong recommend. Quick shipping, good guys.