South African music recommendations

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone here really into South African (or area) music? If so, I'd love some recommendations of great artists to check out. Just getting into this area of music and know very little about it, so would appreciate any helpful tips. Particularly interested in stuff with a rhythm section, township or similar sort of stuff (not even sure if that's the right terminology). I know there are lots of sub genres so it's a bit of a vague question - in the same way that to ask about "American music" would be a bit silly. I dig Ladysmith Black Mambazo and that style too but more interested in groove stuff right now.
Any more general Afro-beat recommendations would be cool too, though South African-style stuff is my particular interest right now.
Fire away! :)

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought this CD many years ago, and I still listen to it over and over. And I have since purchased additional mp3 music by these artists, and others in the kwela and township jive style. Melodic, swinging, mostly joyful and upbeat. Some of the most infectious-sounding music I've ever heard. 'Midnight Ska' by Reggie Msomi is one of my favorite tunes.

tjj1.jpg

tjj2.jpg

Most of the material on this album is from the 1950's. On exception is 'Mbube' by Solomon Linda (which dates back to 1939, and is the tune on which 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' is based... or was stolen from, actually).

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Check out Thomas Mapfumo & Blacks Unlimited. they are from Zimbabwe, & combine traditional & contemporary styles & instruments, especially the mbira(or thumb piano). Absolutely mesmirizing. Mapfumo was a leading musical voice for Zimbabwe's independence movement back in the '60's. Forward Kwenda is probably Zimbabwe's leading mbira player. He is truly gifted, & plays this haunting music almost spontaneously. It is spiritual music, & unbelievably beautiful..........marko

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with these guys . Drummer on this album lives ten minutes from where I'm sitting right now . He helped me sort things out when I drummed for a Congolese band

EDIT -

I'm in Ottawa - might be worth your while to get a hold of him .

http://www.derekdebeer.ca/

Last edited by a moderator:

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

contemporary jive by Mafikizolo (w/ Hugh Masekela, special guest artist) :

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not "South Africa" exactly but southern Africa (Zimbabwe):

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the '80s I used to listen to Hugh Masekela, Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim and Miriam Makeba. All South African artists.

davidh

Reaction score
DrumGerry said:
In the '80s I used to listen to Hugh Masekela, Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim and Miriam Makeba. All South African artists.
Saw Hugh Masakela at Ronnie Scotts a week or so ago - still amazing at 77 - great band with him

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
davidh said:
Saw Hugh Masakela at Ronnie Scotts a week or so ago - still amazing at 77 - great band with him
check Masekela cameo vocal in the Mafikizolo video that I linked