"Southern Cross" CSN (the tuesday 1)

BlackPearl

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's not what it's about, but where I'm from, Newfoundland in eastern Canada, the Southern Cross is famous as a sealing vessel which disappeared at sea without a trace, along with its entire crew of 174 men, back in 1914. The song resonates with me for that reason, even if that wasn't its original meaning.

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I think of one I think of the other ..

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's about folks surviving after a nuclear holocaust.
Not sure what “purple berries” is all about. I thought it was a reference to some form of LSD. But, maybe it’s about scavenging for food that isn’t tainted by radiation.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of my all-time favorite songs. Everything about it is perfection, especially Joe Vitale’s exquisite drumming. We talked a lot about this song on Live From My Drum Room back in August…

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
" Say can I have some of your purple berries ... "

It all makes sense when the audience is trippin as hard as the band . Far out .

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is one of my all-time favorite songs. Everything about it is perfection, especially Joe Vitale’s exquisite drumming. We talked a lot about this song on Live From My Drum Room back in August…

That was excellent interview ,thank you . It was Joe who hipped me to playing floor toms upside down i.e. with the leg housings at the top, leaving rest of the shell to vibrate unhindered . Ludwig legs were really long so you could do that .

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was excellent interview ,thank you . It was Joe who hipped me to playing floor toms upside down i.e. with the leg housings at the top, leaving rest of the shell to vibrate unhindered . Ludwig legs were really long so you could do that .
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. Per my post on the other thread, I won't be posting links to my shows anymore, so I hope you'll subscribe to my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnDeChristopherLiveFromMyDrumRoom

https://linktr.ee/live_from_my_drum_room

JD

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Ah, what a great song! And a great interview! In my youth I was a huge Joe Walsh fan. Well, I suppose I still am, in fact, a huge Joe Walsh fan. Joe Vitale always played the most perfect parts. I finally got to see Joe Walsh (and Joe V) play a couple of years back - what a treasured memory that is.