header.nohb.html

Sparkle Brite No Longer Made?

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have used the brand Sparkle Brite vinyl film to cover drums as some of you have. Now I need to cover a 16” floor Tom in red sparkle and don’t have enough to cover. It matches perfectly with my red PDP CX kit. So I go to the Dick Blick website to order more and it appears it is no longer available. Any help in finding this stuff?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought some similar red sparkle vinyl for use on my Cricut machine via Amazon. Unfortunately that only comes in 12" widths. Dick Blick didn't make Sparkle Brite they were just a dealer, so it might still be available elsewhere.

20220123_093211.jpg

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve looked all over the web and
Can’t find anything!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

KO-thank you for the links. The stuff I am looking for is more of a fire engine red with larger flakes.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
KO-thank you for the links. The stuff I am looking for is more of a fire engine red with larger flakes.
Well I found those with a 5 minute google search under sign making supplies. Keep hunting, the right stuff is probably out there.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I found those with a 5 minute google search under sign making supplies. Keep hunting, the right stuff is probably out there.
K.O. makes a good point here! Many times, it's just doing the proper search. But, more importantly, it's knowing WHAT to search for! I would have never thought to search "sign making supplies". A big KUDOS to K.O.!

-Mark

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welp, Blick just confirmed Sparkle-Brite is discontinued and they have no “like” substitutes. So…….I will check out KO’s links again along with others.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
If I remember right Blick had discontinued carrying Sparkle Brite quite some time ago. About 20 years ago I managed to track down the manufacturer of the stuff and get samples of all the colors (many more than Blick carried). My goal was to find an orange sparkle close to Tangerine sparkle to create a floor tom to go with some Gretsch drums. Unfortunately the orange they had was not a great match and the minimum order was pretty steep so that avenue didn't pan out. Not long after that I found an original floor tom (two of them in fact) and no longer needed a substitute (and Delmar re-introduced the wrap as "Super Tangerine" anyway).

I think the company that I had contacted has since gone out of business but at one point I found a company in England that also had a product called Sparkle Brite. This was all many years ago. My point is that you should be able to track down something that will work.

blue-onyx

Reaction score
maybe try this place...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want vinyl wrap that looks super close to the "right" stuff (red sparkle, not glass glitter), check out Paper Street Plastics on eBay or Amazon. The red and silver are excellent matches. Champagne is close. No affiliation with them but I do buy 1/2" silver sparkle to use as "inlay" on bass hoops.

I can take a closeup of a 6" roll of silver I have later if you want.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
maybe try this place...

I just ordered some satin flame from them earlier today. They do have some sparkle films but no red, at least not listed on their website. However they were out of the color I initially ordered which was listed as being in stock but did have the color I had really wanted that was listed as "out of stock" so it all worked out. Calling into question, however, how complete and up to date their online listing is...maybe worth a call.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want vinyl wrap that looks super close to the "right" stuff (red sparkle, not glass glitter), check out Paper Street Plastics on eBay or Amazon. The red and silver are excellent matches. Champagne is close. No affiliation with them but I do buy 1/2" silver sparkle to use as "inlay" on bass hoops.

I can take a closeup of a 6" roll of silver I have later if you want.
Thanks for this post, I'm thinking about a project idea and this is great info. Could to take pictures of silver and champagne if you have it? I assume champagne is what they call copper.

I just ordered some satin flame from them earlier today. They do have some sparkle films but no red, at least not listed on their website. However they were out of the color I initially ordered which was listed as being in stock but did have the color I had really wanted that was listed as "out of stock" so it all worked out. Calling into question, however, how complete and up to date their online listing is...maybe worth a call.
Kevin, have you used their sparkle films? Any advice?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, I'm thinking about a project idea and this is great info. Could to take pictures of silver and champagne if you have it? I assume champagne is what they call copper.

Kevin, have you used their sparkle films? Any advice?

I have not ever used sparkle film on drums. I recall that those that have remarked that it is very thin and somewhat fragile. It won't hide any surface imperfections due to being so thin. I'd guess that the best use of it would be for a makeover on cheap drums and then applying it over the existing wrap rather than on a bare shell (at least when dealing with wood shells). If I were rewrapping a First Act set or similar for someone's kid just starting out I'd consider it as a low low cost alternative. Not so much for drums I wanted to keep...although if it's the only way to get a particular color then all bets are off.

I recently redid a set in a Satin Flame wrap (the stuff I got from Canal Plastics) and it worked well and cost less than half of what traditional wrap would have.
20221121_203010.jpg

That's another option if saving money is an issue. The only problem there is you really need the stuff with the opaque backing and most of what anyone stocks is the translucent version. Jammin' Sam stocks the right stuff but appears to charge regular drum wrap prices for it (although his pricing is fairly arbitrary anyway so who knows?). Canal only had a couple options in stock with the backing.

Anyway, i've used sparkle brite (and similar) for different things but not on any actual drums.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not ever used sparkle film on drums. I recall that those that have remarked that it is very thin and somewhat fragile. It won't hide any surface imperfections due to being so thin. I'd guess that the best use of it would be for a makeover on cheap drums and then applying it over the existing wrap rather than on a bare shell (at least when dealing with wood shells). If I were rewrapping a First Act set or similar for someone's kid just starting out I'd consider it as a low low cost alternative. Not so much for drums I wanted to keep...although if it's the only way to get a particular color then all bets are off.
Yes, sorry I didn't elaborate -- I meant as a wrap over an existing wrap. I believe some people here have done that, I remember seeing someone's green sparkle drums done in vinyl a number of years ago but not sure if I remember who that was.

What I'm thinking about doing is using vinyl sparkle adhesive to create a multi band look on existing sparkle drums. Cutting a strip of it to use as the center section. I'm thinking because it's so thin it may work well, but the colors would have to be right.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes, sorry I didn't elaborate -- I meant as a wrap over an existing wrap. I believe some people here have done that, I remember seeing someone's green sparkle drums done in vinyl a number of years ago but not sure if I remember who that was.

What I'm thinking about doing is using vinyl sparkle adhesive to create a multi band look on existing sparkle drums. Cutting a strip of it to use as the center section. I'm thinking because it's so thin it may work well, but the colors would have to be right.

I think that would likely work...

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wrapped a couple of orphan toms in red sparkle Sparkle Bright a couple of years ago.
I got the drums were unwrapped so I did not have a wrap to install it over.

Not sure what is out there these days, but the Sparkle Bright wrap had a backing, not flimsy at all. One could peel off the backing leaving it sticky and ready to adhere to the surface. I generally stink at stuff like that so I elected to keep the backing on and used a spray on contact cement (Weldwood maybe??) to adhere the wrap to the drums.

The backing gave it some rigidity which enabled me to avoid any trouble with bubbles, ridges or similar inconsistencies. Had I peeled the backing off I would have screwed that up for sure.

The finished face of the wrap had a thin clear plastic covering over it to protect the red sparkle layer.. I think that served a purpose to an extent, but I didn't think it would have taken much of a drop or a wrong move while setting up to make a mark or possibly a tear on it, but I never ran into that issue..(over the course of a couple dozen gigs with those drums).

The end result was pretty good, better than my expectations... so I would be curious to see what products can fill that void today.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure. It is thin but would work over another wrap. I was going to do something similar over a wood finish with a band of silver but the project didn't pan out. The wood was not good quality so I ended up doing a fake wrap over it. When I use it as inlay on bass drum hoops, the hoop is pretty flat and smooth so it looks great. The local dollar store also has a similar type of craft wrap but the color is much more subdued. These vinyl tapes actually look like real sparkle drum finishes.....

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wrapped a couple of orphan toms in red sparkle Sparkle Bright a couple of years ago.
I got the drums were unwrapped so I did not have a wrap to install it over.

Not sure what is out there these days, but the Sparkle Bright wrap had a backing, not flimsy at all. One could peel off the backing leaving it sticky and ready to adhere to the surface. I generally stink at stuff like that so I elected to keep the backing on and used a spray on contact cement (Weldwood maybe??) to adhere the wrap to the drums.

The backing gave it some rigidity which enabled me to avoid any trouble with bubbles, ridges or similar inconsistencies. Had I peeled the backing off I would have screwed that up for sure.

The finished face of the wrap had a thin clear plastic covering over it to protect the red sparkle layer.. I think that served a purpose to an extent, but I didn't think it would have taken much of a drop or a wrong move while setting up to make a mark or possibly a tear on it, but I never ran into that issue..(over the course of a couple dozen gigs with those drums).

The end result was pretty good, better than my expectations... so I would be curious to see what products can fill that void today.

I brought up Sparkle Brite long ago (I think it actually may have been on the old DCI forum) and I mentioned at the time that I thought it might work better if the backing was left in place to give it some body. I used some on an old 1940s jukebox and did that. Someone that tried it that way ran into a problem when the film layer began to bubble away from the backing after a while. So there's that....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here are some scraps I put on a Zippo. I tried to take with and without flash bit didn't turn out great. Yes that is copper and a tad darker than vintage champagne wrap. I use 1/2" for bass hoop "inlay" although that hoop has no inlay channel. The yellowish wrap is the dollar store wrap that looks lame in comparison. Matte finish and little sparkle. The vinyl tape is glossy and sparkly.

20230120_080239.jpg
20230120_080117.jpg
20230120_080206.jpg
20230120_080121.jpg
20230120_080054.jpg

20230120_080155.jpg
20230120_080124.jpg