Sparkle vinyl/contact paper from hell - help needed

deegeebee

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Looking for some suggestions on where to go with this one.

Backstory: WFL shells, original wrap beat but to my taste, burried under a layer of sparkly crft store vinyl/contact paper looking crap, but OLD, like its been on there for 30 yrs half stripped off - then a layer of spray adhesive and walnut veneer on top of that. A real dog's breakfast. Razor knife, and mineral spirits are easily dealing with the spray adhesive and walnut veneer. FT that didn't have much of the sparkle crap looks pretty good.

Problem: Bass and rack toms still have a lot of the sparkle crap on them and I am having a hell of a time getting it off. Some of it peels to leave a clean wrap underneath, but some of it does not peel off. Any combination of scraping, hair drier and mineral spirits are invariably only getting off the top sparkle/plastic layer and leaving the glue behind. Mineral spirits don't do a damn thing to the glue regardless of how hard I scrub. Have not tried anything abrasive yet. My usual go-to car polish type stuff I would try is out because the light coloured polish will stick in the cracks and look bad.

Question: Any suggestions of other solvents that are 50s wrap friendly but stronger than mineral spirits? Any adhesive pad type things you have used that are wrap friendly that I could try?

Help!

BD with sparkle crap:

20200823_155250.jpg

FT with glue residue:
20200823_145923.jpg

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I bought a Ludwig 12" Club Date tom a few years back. It was covered in a green sparkle brite kinda deal. Galaxy wrap underneath. The sparkle stuff came off without too much work. The glue left behind was a nightmare. I did small areas at a time using goo gone. Would apply it and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Still a lot of work to remove it. Used the edge of an old credit card to help peel the glue off of the shell without damaging the original wrap. Something stronger may have worked but I didn't want to take any chances with the original Galaxy wrap. Time consuming but worth it in the end.

Mike cheap wrap.jpg glue.jpg galaxy after.jpg galaxy before.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
One thing not to try is Acetone as it will eat into many vintage wraps. Naptha (lighter fluid) is fairly benign but maybe a bit more potent than mineral spirits, Goo gone as Mike mentioned might work. I used WD40 to get duct tape residue off a drum (someone "rewrapped" it in duct tape) which worked better than anything else I tried but took a huge amount of elbow grease besides. Two other possibilities that you can find at an auto paint store Acryli-Clean and 3M adhesive remover. The 3M stuff can attack some plastics though.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try Goo gone. Don't try goof-off as that will kill the original wrap. Also I don't recommend rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover.

What I've done on Vintage drums is use citristrip. I'd put on a thin layer let it sit for a few minutes then quickly take it off. I think it may work. Of course, don't blame me if it goes south.....good luck.....

deegeebee

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great suggestions, so much valuable experience on this forum! My general feeling is that mineral spirits are on the "strong" end of the spectrum. For sure acetone is stronger and a no-go. What I haven't tried at all yet is soaking with anything. Thinking that something like citristrip I can paint on and let soak might be a good next thing to try. Goo gone is always good to have around -good to know to steer clear from goof off, I would have assumed they were interchangable.
Off to the store today to grab a few things to try.

deegeebee

Reaction score
So Goo Gone was no help at all. Took a look at ingredients, Goo Gone is methyl hydrate (methanol) while Goof Off is acetone based, so that all checks out. Interestingly, looks like the solvent in WD40 is mineral spirit (plus lubricant).

Also tried soaking the residue with mineral spirits, goo gone, dish soap or vegetable oil for about 30 mins each and still no action. I think of all of them the mineral spirits are doing the most work, at least sloooowly getting the sparkle brite crap off, even if it leaves a residue.

Any other suggestions of things to try?

Current state of the 13":
20200827_195905.jpg

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Hang in there. It's going to be worth it. Looking good!

Mike

deegeebee

Reaction score
Lighter fluid, a microfiber towel, and beer.
Right, good suggestion, hadn't thought of lighter fluid. Can anyone confirm that (white gas, naphtha) will be safe on vintage wrap, believe it should be a bit "stronger" than mineral spirits.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have used Naptha on wrap with no problems. I tried it before the WD40 on the duct tape drum but the WD40 worked better (I never would have thought to even try the WD40 but the guy who sold me the drum had told me that that was what he used to clear away the small patch he previously had cleaned off). That was a red sparkle drum, circa 1960. I can't attest to what naptha might do to WMP or a different type of wrap but generally I think of it as being less powerful than something like lacquer thinner and definitely less so than acetone. Not sure what is in "non-acetone" fingernail polish remover but that might be something else to explore. Also the aforementioned Acryl-clean.

deegeebee

Reaction score
I have used Naptha on wrap with no problems. I tried it before the WD40 on the duct tape drum but the WD40 worked better (I never would have thought to even try the WD40 but the guy who sold me the drum had told me that that was what he used to clear away the small patch he previously had cleaned off). That was a red sparkle drum, circa 1960. I can't attest to what naptha might do to WMP or a different type of wrap but generally I think of it as being less powerful than something like lacquer thinner and definitely less so than acetone. Not sure what is in "non-acetone" fingernail polish remover but that might be something else to explore. Also the aforementioned Acryl-clean.
Sorry KO! Somehow completely missed your suggestion of naphta above. Have a big jug of it as camp fuel. Best thing so far for getting the sparkle plastic off, but still leaving a residue. I will keep an eye out for those other products you mention. No action with WD40. Have not tried mayonaise or peanut butter yet. ;)

TommyDedrum

Reaction score
I bought a Ludwig 12" Club Date tom a few years back. It was covered in a green sparkle brite kinda deal. Galaxy wrap underneath. The sparkle stuff came off without too much work. The glue left behind was a nightmare. I did small areas at a time using goo gone. Would apply it and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Still a lot of work to remove it. Used the edge of an old credit card to help peel the glue off of the shell without damaging the original wrap. Something stronger may have worked but I didn't want to take any chances with the original Galaxy wrap. Time consuming but worth it in the end.

Mike View attachment 456649 View attachment 456650 View attachment 456651 View attachment 456652
Lighter fluid, a microfiber towel, and beer.
I used Regular Gas & that worked well for me With a spray Bottle I sprayed the glue seam Lifted It with a big stiff putty knife sprayed a bit more It came off In one piece Oh MOST IMPORTANT I worked on this project outside
(NO FLAME source) good luck I bet if you can find some Lacquer Thinners that may work well too GOOD LUCK Be careful

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Uh oh....

Sparkle Brite can be removed easily. I have done it many times. Use a hair dryer to heat up the glue as you can peel off the film the film. Use a lot of lighter fluid and a microfiber towel to scrub off the glitter and adhesive. You won't harm the finish underneath.

Latest posts