Speaking of famous setups, mine is Phil collins, anyone else copy a setup?

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
a few variations
mine is 8 10 12 13 14 16/20

his is 8 10 12 15 16 18/20

i'm pretty close

Pearl crystal lite concert Toms

anyone else have a famous drummer copy?

Attachments

Last edited:

dsop

Reaction score
If any of you know how to replicate his Selling England drum sound please contact me.
Before "Selling England" was "Foxtrot", when he used a four piece Gretsch. This photo appears to be right around "Selling" or maybe even for "Lamb". Probably the same drums. Love the Slingerland Hi-hat pedal!
I really, really love the drum sound on "Selling England by the Pound" too. I wonder if he was using coated Ambassadors or Black-dots like the photo.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Before "Selling England" was "Foxtrot", when he used a four piece Gretsch. This photo appears to be right around "Selling" or maybe even for "Lamb". Probably the same drums. Love the Slingerland Hi-hat pedal!
I really, really love the drum sound on "Selling England by the Pound" too. I wonder if he was using coated Ambassadors or Black-dots like the photo.
Definitely Lamb on that picture. That was taken at Headley Grange where they rehearsed that album. Great series of photos available showing the band living and eating together during this time.

Check them out here:

m_anderson

Reaction score
My setup is influenced by Daniel Glass.
Didn't know he was a southpaw. Interesting photo, left hand drummer using traditional grip. I wonder if he really plays that way. Being left handed, I have tried to emulate this but never could. To heavily ingrained from my childhood.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Yes, he does play traditional grip.
Watching his stuff on YT. Really excellent player! I'll have to try that "opposite" traditional grip again. See if I can spend some time and get comfortable with it.

I sort of have the same setup, just went smaller on the bass drum. One mounted and two floor toms. I still call it the Buddy Rich setup, no matter what the drum sizes. I've never intentionally copied anyone's kit.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are only so many combinations of sizes for bass and toms. All of us are bound to be “copying” someone. Buddy Rich used the same Slingerland drum setup as Gene (and no one blinked an eye). But the great thing is, they’ll never sound the way that “you” do...even with a similar setup.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I tried emulating the Phil Collins setup when I build my last kit. Hard to do with a 22X18 bass drum as I soon realized. LOL I had never realized his kick was that small until I ran into that snafu of having bigass toms mounted over it. I also struggled with the right placement around the hi-hat stand. It worked great for him, but was never comfortable for me. I loved how he had his floor toms and still set them up like that today.

Latest posts