Speaking of Ludwigs, any thoughts or tips on restoring this set?

PaulD

Reaction score
I got this set as a present from my mom in 1982. As the pictures show, it's a Combo and was, I believe, their bottom of the line. It was a 5 piece with 12, 13 and 16" toms, 22" bass and a 14x5 Supraphonic snare. The shells are 6 ply maple and all but the small 12" tom have a grey interior coating. The shells are, overall, in very good shape including the wrap. The lugs are metal and the chrome certainly needs to be cleaned up.

The big issues are that bottom aluminum ring has popped out due to the rivet failing. If I can find the right rivets I can fix that. Alternatively, I could use wood screws of a similar size, but I'd have to repair the hole with epoxy and redrill. That also wouldn't look consistent.

The other issue that seems harder to solve is that the chrome hardware is pitted and rusted. I have no idea what it would cost to rechrome the stuff, but are there any other solutions for the rust? The chrome would still be pitted but I guess I could live with that.

Attachments

andlours

Reaction score
It looks like they used adhesive to attach that protector ring on the tom. I would just leave the factory, broken rivet in there and re-glue it with a good adhesive. That way everything stays consistent and looks factory. As far as the rust goes, I would just soak all the chrome bits in a Dawn bath. That typically breaks down most of the major rust for me. Then I would give it a good scrub with aluminum foil and then a final polish with Mother Mag polish. If you really want to go all out then I'd coat everything with a nice automotive wax.

PaulD

Reaction score
Thanks andlours. I was actually thinking of using automotive wax on my new set to protect that too.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool man, those look great. Any pics of the whole kit? Or pics of the varying levels of rust? We need to see how bad it is in order to determine a course of action.

Also, which drums are double headed and which are concert toms?

PaulD

Reaction score
Cool man, those look great. Any pics of the whole kit? Or pics of the varying levels of rust? We need to see how bad it is in order to determine a course of action.

Also, which drums are double headed and which are concert toms?
Thanks. I'll get some pictures of the whole set this weekend. They're all concert toms. The bottom one is very close to mine though it doesn't have the protector rings. I even have the clips to mount the front bass hoop with no head.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The corrosion certainly doesn't look bad in the pictures you've posted so far. I'd try removing the hardware and polishing it.

A lot of people don't like to go this way, but I've always cleaned chrome hardware with *0000 steel wool when I encounter bad corrosion. I've never experienced any of the micro-scratches that folks remark about - I guess because I'm very careful with how much pressure I use. But it's always worked great for me. Follow with chrome polish.

Soak them in the warm Dawn bath first, though. That, along with a toothbrush scrubbing can do wonders sometimes.

And don't over-tighten the screws on the lugs when you reinstall them! They break very easily.

A pro-level double-sided tape will hold the rings on with ease.

GeeDeeEmm

PaulD

Reaction score
Here's a couple more pics. I already tried the aluminum foil method for the rust and it helped but still far from beautiful.

Attachments

PaulD

Reaction score
Thanks. I did actually try Magic Blue which helped, but it still needs more, IMO.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, having seen the corrosion you mentioned, I'd say again, #0000 steel wool. At this point, you can't make them any worse, and most of the corrosion will be removed. Follow the steel wool with chrome polish to arrest any further development.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts