specific A Custom splash

Reaction score
Hello anyone who sees this, I have been scouring the web for a very very long time in search of a very specific sounding A custom splash cymbal,
<---- he plays it 3 times at the 3:22 mark, this recording was from 2002). I believed it was a 12 inch A custom splash, however, after purchasing the cymbal which was made in 2002 I realized it was not the same sound (though still a good sound). Laughably I purchased the exact same cymbal that was made one year before in 2001 and guess what..... it was the same sound lol. I believe it's probably the 10-inch splash made in the late 90s or early 2000s, however, no videos showcasing this splash cymbal sound the same as the cymbal that is being played in the song, I do know that the mix can drastically affect the pitch and tone of cymbals but I really think that there is something different going on and Zildjian changed the way they made this particular splash. the splash cymbal is also in this picture I found in the very center. If anyone has any knowledge on what cymbal this is it would be very appreciated!!!

Attachments

Reaction score
I believe it does, does your splash cymbal sound the same as the one in the video? I see that5 yours is 8 inches, maybe the one in the video is 8 inches?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The splash in the video, mounted over the rack tom, looks like a 10"; compare it to the diameter of the 10" tom.
With splashes, there are some differences between say, a Paiste Signature and an Agop Turk, but with the various more standard sounding series, the model designation imo doesn't say much. A K can sound brighter than A etc., it all depends on the very cymbal you have in front of you.
I'd say try to nail down what you like about this cymbals, compare it to other recordings, and then find that sound, rather than that model made in a specific year. I am sure not all A custom 10" splashes made in 2001 or any year sounded the same! Some famous drummers that seem to have a good ear for choosing splashes include Manu Katché and Vinnie Colaiuta. Both Z users at that time, maybe you find something similar in some of their recordings.

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I will try and listen to some other recordings and hopefully I will be able to find one that sounds like it. You have a very strong point about not all of them sounding the same lol. Hopefully I’ll be able to find it

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The earlier/earliest run of this model is in fact thinner. I have a 10” and 12”
Don’t really recall the exact year they came out but I’m thinking if you research from that angle you’ll find the sound you’re after.

Phil

Reaction score
Oh wow that’s great information! Any chance either of your splashes sound like the one in the video?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought an A custom 10" new in 1994 was just about the perfect splash sound. I sold it here shortly after joining I believe to Rhythmace

Reaction score
Sigh lol what I would give for a time machine to go back and get one
Any chance the cymbal sounded like the one in the video?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Sigh lol what I would give for a time machine to go back and get one
Any chance the cymbal sounded like the one in the video?
Hard to tell but I'd guess that's what it is. They still make the cymbal though>

Reaction score
Aye thanks for the input! I was lucky enough to find a used one on ebay that was in good condition, and even better the seller posted a good quality picture and I was able to see the laser engraving and the part of the code indicating the date of the cymbal was IH, meaning that it was made in 1998. Possibly the same time period that zildjian was making these splashes with the same alterations and ways of manufacturing these. So hopefully it will be close to the sound Ive been looking for, But lol we'll see when it gets here. Now all I need to do is get rid of these 12 inch splashes, any chance anyone is interested? :laughing6: