Speed Cobra Beater

moosryan

Reaction score
How do people feel about these? Talking specifically about the white one, but would be curious if the black one is any different.

I'm really liking the feel (the bounce is obviously intended to play well with the light/fast pedal) and the sound is definitely better than I'd expected having never used a rubber beater. The one thing I can't stand is that if I leave the beater on the hand for a measure or two, it does sort of stick to the head and screws up my timing when I pull it off. Are all rubber beaters like this, or is this just soft rubber?

My minor conspiracy theory is that someone smart at Tama knows that a lot of stores have their pedals setup to demo against a pad or some kind of hard surface (usually a metal post at big chain stores), so in that setting, the rubber beater makes the pedal feel way better than felt would.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure about rubber beaters. One would think speed, you may sacrifice some control though. I’ve only ever played felt, wool, wood and leather. I used the Erskine designed wood shaft beater from Firth for a few years and that was very light and balanced and gave me both great control and speed. But these days I’m using Lowboy and use their lightweight leather and felt beaters. The felt has less attack to me than the leather, so depends on the need. I am currently working on more heel down playing and shorter strokes for top & bottom of the kit balance, so not too into speed these days.

moosryan

Reaction score
Anyone else on this? I think I have to bail on this beater--the problem with it sticking to the head is definitely untenable.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I eventually swapped the rubber beater out on my Speed Cobra for a Tama Cobra felt beater. I can't even remember why exactly-- the rubber one wasn't sticking to the head for me. I do remember that the rubber one sounded better on one of my bass drums (Yamaha) and the felt better on another (Gretsch). My main pedal now is the Dyna-Sync though.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated the rubber beater and switched it out for the felt one immediately. Too much bounce for me and I can see it stocking once it wears a bit.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the classic round Iron Cobra Felt Beaters on all of my pedals. Love them. The Speed Cobra ones are ok, but I vote the regular style.

moosryan

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll dig out an IC felt beater--I must have one around. I've had a Pearl quad beater on there, which I usually love, but this pedal seems to want something lighter...

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Speed Cobra double, I loved the longboards but hated the beaters.
I have since replaced them with traditional medium felt.
I also replaced the slave driveshaft with the TRICK provision.
Now my SC is a great pedal.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if the beater sticks to the head... definitely time to find another one.

If you're looking for a beater with more rebound, there's the Ninja beater and the Flex beater (two different companies). But I think if they gave a performance edge that other beaters can't match, they'd be a lot more well-known and widely used. I have tried the Flex beater and it works well but takes getting used to.

https://dynamicbeaters.com
https://www.ninjakickpercussion.com/

5stroke

Reaction score
Love my Speed Cobra pedal but once purchased immediately switched out the stock beater for a Ludwig Atlas Felt Beater which I've used for the last 6 years. I tried 3 other beaters in the Guitar Center store on my bass drum and compared them to the Ludwig beater, which had the most punch, oomph, and overall roundness. https://drumsonsale.com/ludwig-atlas-felt-bass-drum-beater.html