Speed cobras?

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been searching for a pedal (pedals) that feels good under my feet for years. Constantly buying, trading pedals to hopefully find the one that works.
I fooled around on those speed cobras at sam ash and they feel awesome! Does anyone use them?
I think the chain drive combined with the long footboard makes this thing really sweet. I'm thinking of getting one (or two)

Tell me about them

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I use them. I have three doubles because I try to stay consistent. One for gigging, one for the studio and one For my Florida kit. I also have a couple DW5000's for spares. I've gotten used to the long boards and they are very smooth. I've been using them for about three years. I used to use Pearl Eliminators and the DW9002, both great pedals as well but the SC's, to me just feel natural.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use the budget version (310) and really like it. Haven't gone to another pedal since I got it over a year ago.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a double and a single, the 910 pro version. Been using them for the past 4 years. Best pedal I´ve used so far. I also use the SC hihat and absolutely love it.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool. I tried a single and a double on the practice pad setup at sam ash, and something about them just felt good. I have Iron cobras and demon drives and I think Id actually trade all 4 of them for a set of new speed cobras.
But who knows, I may get to a gig and hate the way the SC feels. It always happens that way with me. My foot seems like it changes its mind every time I play

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had been using some long board Yamaha pedals (with two bass drums) for years.
When it was time to use a set-up with one bass drum, I tried out every double-pedal on the market...............I took my time too.

I've got opinions about all of them but, to me, the Speed Cobra was the final winner................I have now had them for almost 4 years.

The pros are the smooth action and the long boards.............the bearings are exceptional.
The cons (opinion) are the beaters, the slave driveshaft, and the springs.

The springs are known to break.............I carry a couple of extras in the case...............I have had to replace one spring.
The beaters are hard and small -- I am a heavy foot and I went through four batter heads before I changed them out.
I now buy the medium felt Yamaha conventional beaters -- the pedals feel great and I think the sound is better............I have not broken a batter head with the Yammy beaters.
The Tama driveshaft is OK but the TRICK replacement shaft is awesome.............VERY well built and flawless.

Bottom line...............
My Speed Cobra doubles are now fantastic with the personal changes I have made.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went through the same frustrating search before landing on the Speed Cobra. It is the most fun my foot has had in years.

cymtrich

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i`ve had one for a while now. great pedal, well made, great feel and fast and smooth. when i first had it i did have the spring break. all i`m saying is, be sure to carry a spare. bill

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
ok...so i have the powerglides...pre Iron Cobras. I don't need speed...more umph...and volume wouldn't be bad (I play heel down). Would an SIC give me more (and i find my best results with the flat vic firth wooden beater or big heavy acrylic balls).

sorry to hijack...but...

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
dtk said:
ok...so i have the powerglides...pre Iron Cobras. I don't need speed...more umph...and volume wouldn't be bad (I play heel down). Would an SIC give me more (and i find my best results with the flat vic firth wooden beater or big heavy acrylic balls).

sorry to hijack...but...
My heel down can be almost as loud as heel up with this thing. YMMV

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
The SC is all I've played for the last five years or so. Recently I started working through the Bass Drum Control book and it's got me branching out a bit for the first time since I got my SC, but nothing has dethroned it yet.

If I had one complaint (comment?) it would be that the default pedal angle is really low. The pedal almost feels like it's parallel to the floor. I've adjusted it to be higher and moved the chain up a link but it's still lower than other pedals. I haven't looked in a while to see if I can adjust more.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played an Iron Cobra for about 13 years and had no interest in getting a new pedal until the revamped Speed Cobra came out a little over a year ago. I played it for like 90 seconds before deciding to buy it. It's the most comfortable pedal I've played.

tomo221

Reaction score
I love mine, though I just removed that silly little spring underneath the footboard. Just seemed gimmicky to me. But otherwise, it's a sweet pedal.

Rm81

Reaction score
Got a question for anyone that is knowledgeable on the Tama Speed Cobra 910 Double Pedal HP910LWN.
Can this pedal be used independently as two seprate single pedals ?
The reason I ask is because I just got a big set of 90's eara Rockstar DX's with 2 base drums .
At home I will have the whole kit set up including both base drums and will need two single pedals . Some gigs I perform may have limited space and I will only have room for one base drum and will want to run a double pedal .
I really want the 910 speed cobras and it would be a whole lot cheaper if I could just buy the speed cobra double versus the double and two singles . So can I separate the double and use as two independent pedals on two separate drums ? Will I need additional components ? If so what ones ?
Thanks

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't think they will without modification. I wish more of these pedals would be modular in this sense because I have a double bass kit at home but usually gig with a single bass and sometimes use a double pedal. I'd like to get the speed cobra but am on the fence about it since I want to be able to use it as both two singles or one double pedal

Rm81

Reaction score
Yep , we're in the same boat . I really want two single speed cobras and the double , just wished it wouldn't have to cost me over $800 for two singles and the double . Someone else on another group said that the double could be converted to two singles but you would have to buy some additional sc parts from Tama . That would be fine with me , still would be cheaper than buying 3 pedals . Another guy said that I could buy one sc single and the sc double and just remove the shaft and beater from the double when using them separately. That would definitely work but still cost over $600 for one single and one double . Really just wished I could only buy the double and some extra parts to make this work . Does anyone know of a Tama customer service email address that I could ask them about this ?