Speed King Bearing Replacement?

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cleaning up several old Speed King pedals and a few of the bearings are fairly well worn (still "chatter" even after cleaning with solvent and blowing them out with compressed air).

Have any of you found a good source for replacement bearings? I haven't had any luck trying to cross reference the markings stamped on the original.
SK Bearing.jpg
IMG_0562.JPG.jpg

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
What do you mean by "chatter"? Without grease in them, those bearings will have some slop in them, even when new. Given the low stress on a bass drum pedal bearing, I really doubt you could wear one of those out.
They have that bearing on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/405-7-Nice-Unground-Ball-Bearing/dp/B07487Z5N8
I agree that it seems unlikely that they would wear out during normal use. Although these aren't sealed bearings, the assembly is pretty well sealed when the bearing caps stay in place. However, it really doesn't take much in the way of dust or dirt to contaminate a bearing.

I guess I was just thinking that, as long as I had these apart, I would upgrade with new components - provided I could find the right part.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Speed Kings are sealed just about as good as any pedal with shielded bearings out there. Unless the pedal got something abrasive in the bearings, those bearings will not get damaged. Like many things, older ball bearings are often better than the same thing made today. A lot of ball bearings are made in China and while they can be high quality, more times than not they are not as good as a Japanese, German or US made bearing.

Clean them thoroughly by soaking and periodically scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Once all the old grease is gone soak it in clean solvent and then blow dry. They should be as good as new.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That there's a nice collection of SK's. My goodness. I still use my WFL. That and the Supra are the only pieces I still have from my first kit when I was a kid.

Had my SK pedal rebuilt by Bill Fulton some 10 years ago and never lookd back. He does excellent work. Don't know if he's a member here or not, but he just might have the bearings.

Latest posts