Speed King hurts on E-drums

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've noticed when I play my vintage Ludwig Speed King on my Roland KD-10, it generates a lot of vibration no matter what beater I use, and hurts my knee pretty badly (and it's far from age-related - I'm not even adult by American standards!). On my acoustic Ludwig bass drum it's fine. With my Tama Iron Cobra 600 twin pedal my knee is happy (maybe because the heavy iron frame and base plate absorbs some vibration), but my foot feels it's a bit clunky compared to the SK when I just want to play some light, single-bass thing. Any insights?

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's why mesh heads are preferable. Lot of sore hands, wrists and ankles/knees with rubber or rubber coated pads.

Whitten

Reaction score
Obvious, but there is also no advantage to whacking e-drums at the same volume you might play your acoustics.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I finally sold my edrums because of this. I didn't actually experience pain, but the vibration of impact on those hard rubber pads was a little harsh for my liking.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I finally sold my edrums because of this. I didn't actually experience pain, but the vibration of impact on those hard rubber pads was a little harsh for my liking.
I think it's more "itch" than "pain" to me. Still feels strange, and I'm afraid of long-term damages. Luckily the Tama pedals feel much better. ;-)

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And I'm glad I'm still fast. I like to do a lot of flourishes, ghost notes, drag rolls, etc. sorta like Bonzo and Roger Taylor, and I bought the Tama twin pedal so I can throw my left foot in the mix as well. ;-)

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's more "itch" than "pain" to me. Still feels strange, and I'm afraid of long-term damages. Luckily the Tama pedals feel much better. ;-)
Yes the feeling with my old speed king was what I would imagine whacking a brick wall with a dowel rod would feel like. The sound at low volume is similar to that as well. You're right though, heavier pedals were less harsh. Part of my problem, I'll admit it, is that I'm an old dude in my 50's and I'm too set in my acoustic set ways.