Speed King rebuild service ... other hardware too!

bfulton

Reaction score
Ludwig's great idea -- a pedal working with spring compression. I see the Trick pedal uses compression, too.
The problem with the Speed King is metal on metal contact in the heel hinge. The steel frame wears through to an oblong. The pivot in the heel piece enlarges. Now the pedal squeaks like mad and feels sloppy.
We all know too about the wax based lubricant used on the springs. It turns rock hard over time.
The restoration solves the heel hinge by using nylon bushings with silicon lubricant. The springs and pistons and 'tower' are cleaned completely and synthetic lube is supplied. Natch, the cosmetics, painting and polishing, are completed. I'm really obsessive with this stuff!

Glad to rebuild yours. Please send a PM. A mechanics only, or the mechanics and the cosmetics. Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland, whatever.

DSC_0091.JPGDSC_0092.JPGDSC_0100.JPGDSC_0101.JPGDSC_0102.JPGDSC_0103.JPGDSC_0105.JPGDSC_0107.JPGDSC_0109.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Didn't realize it was a wax based lube, make sense though, that stuff crystallizes and turns to stone, what a bear to clean up.
Your pedals are top notch Bill.

bfulton

Reaction score
Thank you both for the kind words. I haven’t done many pedals lately, so I took my time with this one.
It plays very smoothly and quietly.
Cheers!

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got one that needs to be rebuilt. It was given to me by an old friend and might be too beat up, but it is all there. I can PM some pics in the morning if you are up for the challenge.

Clay

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can also vouch for Bill's work. Top notch!! He rebuilt my WFL Speed King years ago after playing it since I was 13, and it's never felt better.
No squeaking and smooth action.
Somebody crab this!

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Looks like somebody did crab it. :wink: Autocorrect. Don't you just love it? :error:

I need to save up some pennies and see about getting my Speed King worked on Bill. This thread reminded me. But my piggy bank is empty at the moment due to excessive cymbal purchases...usual story.

bfulton

Reaction score
Hey Zenstat — is there such a thing as excessive cymbal purchases??
Didn’t think so!
You wouldn’t need to save too many pennies... a mechanics rebuild is less than mechanics plus cosmetic.
And Clay? Sure I’m up for it. Maybe you’ll win the Worst Speed King Ever prize!

bfulton

Reaction score
Thank you very much.

Y'know, I restore any brand of pedal, an old Camco, Yellowjacket, etc.
Whatever it is, whatever condition, let's shape it up for playability and fresh looks.

Sorry to shill so much. But Social Security doesn't quite stretch to cover the essentials: cymbals, snares.....