Spent a lot of money on a snare drum....

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And you don't like it and want to trade or sell it...Why??...Where does it sit , in the basement or club work????

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some years ago, I bought a relatively expensive Spirit Drums solid body snare expecting some great things but could never get it where I wanted it in tuning etc. I sold it a few months later at quite a loss ......:(

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wayne just curious did you buy the drum on line ? Or see it in person when you made your decision? I personally never buy anything drum related that expensive without thoroughly trying It out first in person. I've had both cymbals and snares that weren't the same once I got them home ( mostly play in the basement) so I'm assuming it's the difference between acoustics in the store vs my basement. For this reason I run a snare through its tuning ranges in person if I'm spending a substantial chunk of cash.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I think the most expensive snare I’ve bought was a Joyful Noise. I had it for a couple months but honestly didn’t think it was anything special. Beautiful drum though. I had (still have actually) a Ming Pure Fiberglass snare that cost me $100 that got way more stand time. That snare is in my studio. The JF? Who knows...

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sell so many things that I LIKE that I can't imagine not selling something I dislike.

I've been pretty lucky overall-- I've avoided extreme high end stuff except for Noble and Cooley. Those have all ranged from excellent to mind-blowing. The problem I have is buying too many and then later realizing that I don't realistically need four of them, you know?

I've been underwhelmed by a couple of the fancy drum kits I've owned-- a couple Sonors come to mind-- and those went back to market quickly.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive bought a few Bradys over the years and kept the two that I liked best...bought for the mid hundreds and are now worth more than that (obviously dependent on market and demand), but they both get played regularly in my studio. Same with my Joyful Noise snares, both go on the road with me, they are so good live and in the mix. They wont get sold, ever.

F

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
If it were me, I would consider straight trades or trades plus cash if the one I was getting was a lesser value - or try selling it and be prepared to take a loss or wait for
the right buyer to come along

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
expensive (real expensive) snares and (real expensive) kits is going outside the realm of what you're doing.
Which is playing in a band at any certain time. I caun't see the reason for going above and beyond what has come before tried and true.
Vintage cymbals you may have to experiment with- to know what they were about. Even the greatest vintage (proven) drums aren't that expensive. So when someone plunks down massive $$ for a snare or set (unproven- design of which never recorded anywhere) I have to feel there are other motives and feelings involved.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
expensive (real expensive) snares and (real expensive) kits is going outside the realm of what you're doing.
Which is playing in a band at any certain time. I caun't see the reason for going above and beyond what has come before tried and true.
The exception maybe is getting a very expensive snare drum (Brady block) at about 25% of current eBay price ......:)

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the most expensive snare I’ve bought was a Joyful Noise. I had it for a couple months but honestly didn’t think it was anything special. Beautiful drum though. I had (still have actually) a Ming Pure Fiberglass snare that cost me $100 that got way more stand time. That snare is in my studio. The JF? Who knows...
I have a Ming. Didnt do that well on price but it is a great snare and matches my Yamaha SC honey amber kit

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
" spent it on a monday and my heart stood still a doo-run run run a doo-run run...

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I have had a few, and STILL have a few, Noble & Cooley snares. They are probably the only drums I’d spend the cash for because they are truly that good. I paid good money for a vintage wood Powertone snare that I just did not like at all. Yeah it’s a collectors item, but if it’s not going to be played, I don’t want to keep it.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a Trick drum kit, then 3 more single Trick drums to supplement the kit. Not what I expected, so I'm selling them at a loss, although I would love to get my investment back. (And I got reasonable deals to begin with.)

Stretch

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was lucky and picked up a used Beverly Cosmic 21 for 70 bucks . Sounds identical to a Supraphonic , maybe a bit fatter because of the extra half inch depth.

I was unlucky and paid close to 10 times that amount for a snare,let's just call it "the real thing", and I couldn't get rid of fast enough .

Ya lives ya learns .

Last edited:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
sold a Dunnett Titanium to a forum member here. I had too many snares and use only 2 for gigs/recording. I couldn’t justify bringing a $1,000 snare out when my Black Magic or Supralite did the job just as well. Great snare thpugh!!!

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
My Trick Kodiak had a great rimshot but was a one trick pony and, somehow, kept breaking snare wires.
In the '80's I had a Pearl Vari-Pitch (roto over a phenolic shell) it was a dog too, traded both for cymbals.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I have been very fortunate in that I purchased a pearl steel piccolo some 15 years ago for around $115 from musicians friend and it has been my primary snare ever since. It's been used for hard rock, classic rock and metal. I'm just now having some issues with overtones after putting a new head on it(Evan's g2 coated). It originally came with a coated remo ambassador that sounded great until I wore off all the coating in the center and it started sounding real hollow. I may either go back to the ambassador or try the Evans hd genera dry. But I'm not ever parting with this drum. It records well, is generally easy to tune and is versatile enough for many different styles of playing.

Latest posts