Spent some time playing with toys last night

vigilante397

Reaction score
I have a number of hobbies which means my garage is full of neat tools to play with, so I've been trying to figure out how I can use them to make my setup cooler. When I first started playing I remember seeing all the custom drumstick models from famous players out there and dreamed one day of having my own custom stick, but it's pretty clear by this point that it's not going to happen, so I went ahead and customized the sticks I already have with my CO2 laser:
85013845_628811037879113_4722425269049098240_n.jpg

Then I played with something I've been thinking about for a while. I picked up a cheap powder coating gun a few weeks ago and decided I'm finally going to powder coat my kit's hardware. I started with a small piece just to see if I could coat over the existing chrome without sandblasting it, and I'm pretty happy with the results. My technique needs some work, but for how cheaply and how quickly I did this I think it looks pretty good. The powder I'm planning to use will be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get that done over the weekend.
84829811_1448854028628525_7375761558057517056_n.jpg

vigilante397

Reaction score
Thanks :) The CO2 laser is a cheap Chinese model, look for K40 on eBay or Amazon and there are hundreds of them. The powder coating gun is from Harbor Freight Tools.

egw

Reaction score
Nice! Don't forget to put your date of birth and SSN on them as well.

vigilante397

Reaction score
Got the new powder in last night and I love the color, it should pop really nicely on my clear acrylic kit. I'm going to build a powder coating "booth" out of some scrap wood I have lying around and start doing the hardware on my kit :) I'm using a toaster oven for curing so I'll probably bring the hoops and floor tom legs to work with me so I can put them in a bigger oven, but everything else on the kit should fit fine in my little setup. This is a test I did on a couple pieces last night:

test.jpg

vigilante397

Reaction score
I'm in Southern California, Death Valley area. For smaller things I'm using a toaster oven and it's been working very well. For bigger things like hoops and tom mounts I'm planning to bring my powder coat gun to work and use the industrial drying oven we have there.

I just did all the lugs of my 12" tom and they turned out okay, but I think I want another coat to make the color pop more. Unfortunately my kids are asleep and I can't run the air compressor, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.