Splash cymbals...how critical are they?

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you spend a lot of time trying different brands, sizes, weights, etc? I mean, what do they do, and what difference does it make as long as they..well..just splash?
I can see where one might come in handy now and then, but as far as you're concerned..how critical are they?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's critical to get the right one (or two).
It's critical they match the rest of your Cymbal ensemble.
Say if you have all machine made cymbals stick with machine made splashes.
On the other hand if you have an all handmade cymbal set stay with handmade splashes.
I have an 8" and a 10" both Istanbul Agop Traditionals (nothing funny).
They fit in perfectly with my Bosphorus hand hammered set,
Because. They are all hand hammered.

How ever if you have an all-A cymbal set use A splashes or an all Paiste Set use Paiste Splashes.
Splashes are affordable (especially used like new) Don't take up a lot of space and don't weigh much.
I have 2. An 8" and a 10" Istanbul Agop Traditionals (no funny stuff)
Good Luck on your search of this integral Critical Item(s)
Thanks everybody

2and4

Reaction score
Critical is maybe not the right word to use when talking about splashes. I mean, if you showed up to a gig, even a really big gig, and you forgot your splash, you could still play the gig without any issues. Ive been playing professionally since 1990, used one through out the 90's and haven't used one but a handful of times since. That said, I'd say if you keep hearing the splash sound in your head while your playing without one, then maybe you should get one so you have the fulfillment of playing what your hearing in your head. that's nice, and important.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't really used one since the 90's.

I still have the 12" Paiste 2000 that I got for Christmas in 1989 or 1990. And I have a 9" trans stamp that came with an auction I won a year or so ago.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't or need to take one out on a gig unless I was backing a Comedian...

But on a home set they're a beautiful little sound for the price mint used.. I have an Istanbul 8" and Istanbul 10" Agop Traditional. Like miniature Traditional hand hammered cymbals from Turkey because that's what they are.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Splashes can be cool when used tastefully, but kind of I lost interest in them in the 90's when everyone had them on their kits, and mostly overused them. Nothing annoys me more than when drummers use splashes as crashes.

Back in the day, I had a 10" A. Zildjian splash between my two rack toms, and hit it more than I should have, just because it was there. Eventually, I got tired of it, sold it, and never looked back. I just don't hear splashes in my head anymore; I feel similarly about most china cymbals, but I do like stacks for certain types of playing. I generally play 2 crashable rides for jazz(y) situations, and one ride and two crashes on my rock/pop gigs.

Different sizes and weights affect pitch and sustain/decay. Check mycymbal.com for examples.

EricWN

Reaction score
I don’t think there’s a right answer. If you like their sound and can integrate it with the band they might be a nice addition. In most setups a splash will be of a similar line than the rest of the cymbals but everyone is different.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a few Sabians, (an old AA and AAX) and a UFIP and I'm pretty good. I only use them with my Bowie tribute band, for little accents here and there.
I always bring them, but if I forgot them, the gig would not be ruined.

Dan

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite lite setup is one Ride and one 16" crash, with a 10" splash inverted on top. It's like running with two crashes but without the weight or extra stand. I'd actually feel incomplete without one.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I like splashes a lot.

I currently have 3 and don't bring extra stands for em.

One mounted on the HH rod
One on a little extender on top of a crash and
One little splash mount that hooks to a cymbal stand.

I have one decent one, a 12" A fast splash that works as a tiny crash when I'm coming down into a lighter section. And 2 super cheap Wuhans an 8 and a 10.

I guess they're not critical, but for a longer show playing groovy stuff with lots of improv breaks and such, it makes things more interesting.

On a dream kit I would probably have 4 or 5, and I would upgrade the Wuhans, but whatever they're fun. I wanna get a tiny little 6"er at some point.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember hearing Billy Hart with Charles Lloyd in the 90s. His use of splashes in this context of post-Coltrane jazz seemed totally fresh, lots of different colours and ideas. Ove the years I tried to find some splashes that had a similarly full sound as his, but they don't get much use. I should go back and listen to this music again, and just put them up piggy-back on top of other cymbals to see what happens. Same with smaller crashes.
I experimented with stacks and trashy "white noise" cymbals, but seem to prefer more pleasing sounds. Not a huge fan of emulating electronic sounds, I'd rather celebrate the beauty of more harmonious acoustic sounds. Why not in small sizes as well?

gra7

Reaction score
For me personally they are more critical than a china, trashy or stack cymbals in my setup.

I absolutely adore 10” and 12” splashes. My favourites are Zildjian A and Ufip Naturals and Dry Effects.

I use them for groove accents mostly but they also work very well in quieter settings - on a cafe gig I would use a 12” splash as my primary “crash” with hi-hats and a washy ride for example.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saturday

splash 001.JPG
splash 002.JPG
splash 004.JPG

splash 003.JPG

picture Time

splash 001.JPG splash 002.JPG splash 004.JPG splash 003.JPG

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not critical, but they have a lot to offer. Splashes get a bad rap because people think of an anemic little 8” tinkle... but the bigger splashes are more like ‘accent crashes’, maybe more versatile than a 10” old A or something. I like to have one or two unexpected sounds in the mix, cymbals that mix well with the others but also cut through and grab you. A counterpoint to the more mellow large cymbals. I love em, the 11” K Hybrid is a favorite as it sounds like nothing else really. I also use the Agop Xist Ion 12”, and a dark Sabian SR2 Thin 12” - both very unique sounds. I use a K Custom dark 8” pair as x-hats, they have a smoky, crunchy sound that’s amazing and they’re small enough to fly right off the hat stand under/left of the hats. I keep an 8” and 10” A on hand just in case I need that classic splash sound, but I find the larger sizes to be more everyday usable.

So yeah, you could go your whole life without “needing” a splash, but they can add a lot to your palette. They’re an affordable way to make your sound unique, with more than just the typical cymbal sounds and they provide a pleasing contrast to their bigger partners.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
How critical are they? That depends on what the music asks for.

What kind of music are you playing? What do you hear in it?

I think splashes came back in to prominence with Stewart Copeland. I'm not getting many calls to play Police music, nor music coming out of that mindset, so I seldom bring one out. I have some in the cymbal bag to lay on the odd snare or tom when the music goes a la Nate Wood or Giuliana, but not all gigs call for that. It all depends on the needs of the music.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was aware of splashes prePolice; If you love cymbals whats not to love.
Taking them on a gig is a different thing

I think more of King Crimson and Michael Giles a classical approach
MoonChild

splash 002.JPG

splash 004.JPG